2.6 RPM

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2.6 RPM

Carlwill
I recall some months ago seeing a large discussion on someone taking
their time and dedication on creating a pre-packaged RPM of 2.6.X. I
was wondering if anyone has the latest RPM that I can download for my
new RHEL 5  server. I am looking to use 2.6.5 from a packaged RPM
however Redhat / CentOS only have 2.3 available from their mirrors.
Sadly the DoD is requiring I utilize a current stable release for this
project. Does anyone know if I can still download 2.6 (preferably
2.6.5) and from where?

Thanks for any help at all!

-Carlos
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 RPM

Carlwill
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Brian Collins
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Simon Mudd is the man who makes these RPMs.  We mirror his site.  You can get the RPMs here:
> ftp://mirror.newnanutilities.org/pub/postfix-rpm/official/2.6/

Thanks for that info and I greatly appreciate all the time and effort
Simon puts in for making this for us!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 RPM

Robert Schetterer
In reply to this post by Carlwill
Carlos Williams schrieb:

> I recall some months ago seeing a large discussion on someone taking
> their time and dedication on creating a pre-packaged RPM of 2.6.X. I
> was wondering if anyone has the latest RPM that I can download for my
> new RHEL 5  server. I am looking to use 2.6.5 from a packaged RPM
> however Redhat / CentOS only have 2.3 available from their mirrors.
> Sadly the DoD is requiring I utilize a current stable release for this
> project. Does anyone know if I can still download 2.6 (preferably
> 2.6.5) and from where?
>
> Thanks for any help at all!
>
> -Carlos

If build suse postfix 2.6.5 rpms by my own
which run fine on 10.0 / 10.1 / 10.2 / 10.3
didnt test them on 11.0 / 11.1 but should run fine
postfix is very rpm rebuild friendly

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: 2.6 RPM

Gary Smith-20
In reply to this post by Carlwill
> I recall some months ago seeing a large discussion on someone taking
> their time and dedication on creating a pre-packaged RPM of 2.6.X. I
> was wondering if anyone has the latest RPM that I can download for my
> new RHEL 5  server. I am looking to use 2.6.5 from a packaged RPM
> however Redhat / CentOS only have 2.3 available from their mirrors.
> Sadly the DoD is requiring I utilize a current stable release for this
> project. Does anyone know if I can still download 2.6 (preferably
> 2.6.5) and from where?

Carlos,

You might want to put together a build environment and roll your own.  I tend to do this for a lot of software (as I need to application specific business required patches to several packages).  In most cases, you can easily setup a chroot environment of some type, download the source RPM (instead binary), and then compile it.  In many cases, when I need to go from 2.6.x up to the next version, I just download the new source file, edit my spec file for postfix, change the version number, run a single command to build it, wait about 4 minutes, then I have a package.  (it's easier than it sounds once you've done it a few times).


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 RPM

Carlwill
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Gary Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> You might want to put together a build environment and roll your own.  I tend to do this for a lot of software (as I need to application specific business required patches to several packages).  In most cases, you can easily setup a chroot environment of some type, download the source RPM (instead binary), and then compile it.  In many cases, when I need to go from 2.6.x up to the next version, I just download the new source file, edit my spec file for postfix, change the version number, run a single command to build it, wait about 4 minutes, then I have a package.  (it's easier than it sounds once you've done it a few times).

Gary - I have never done this before for any application so I would
like to try this with you advice. Where do I start and is there a
guide or step by step instructions I would take in order to create my
own 2.6.5 RPM package? I am guessing I need to go to www.postfix.org
and download the source code:

http://mirrors.rootservices.net/postfix/official/postfix-2.6.5.tar.gz

Is that the correct file I would need to build from or do I need a
source rpm file?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2.6 RPM

Sahil Tandon
On Sep 18, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Carlos Williams <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Gary Smith  
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Carlos,
>>
>> You might want to put together a build environment and roll your  
>> own.  I tend to do this for a lot of software (as I need to  
>> application specific business required patches to several  
>> packages).  In most cases, you can easily setup a chroot  
>> environment of some type, download the source RPM (instead binary),  
>> and then compile it.  In many cases, when I need to go from 2.6.x  
>> up to the next version, I just download the new source file, edit  
>> my spec file for postfix, change the version number, run a single  
>> command to build it, wait about 4 minutes, then I have a package.  
>> (it's easier than it sounds once you've done it a few times).
>
> Gary - I have never done this before for any application so I would
> like to try this with you advice. Where do I start and is there a
> guide or step by step instructions I would take in order to create my
> own 2.6.5 RPM package? I am guessing I need to go to www.postfix.org
> and download the source code:
>
> http://mirrors.rootservices.net/postfix/official/postfix-2.6.5.tar.gz
>
> Is that the correct file I would need to build from or do I need a
> source rpm file?

This is not the right forum to discuss RPM construction.   Would you  
guys mind taking this off-list?  Thanks.

--
Sahil Tandon