4.5.3 too many recipients

Michael De Groote
i have a very simple postfix setup running at school.

now the principal wants to send mails to all the parents that registered their emailaddress and signed on for a newsletter every week.
This causes him to get a 452: 4.5.3 Too many recipients.

I tried setting the default_destination_recipient_limit = 250
(instead of the standard 50) but it doenst work. I'm probably trying the wrong parameter here, but since i left that school at the end of last year - but they still call me for support - i don't really have  a lot of time to spend searching for a solution on this one. Can someone point me in the right direction here please?

greetings

Michael De Groote
ICT-coordinator Sint-Pietersschool Korbeek-Lo
ICT-support Sancta Maria Basisschool Leuven

Re: 4.5.3 too many recipients

Wietse Venema
Michael De Groote:
> i have a very simple postfix setup running at school.
>
> now the principal wants to send mails to all the parents that registered
> their emailaddress and signed on for a newsletter every week.
> This causes him to get a 452: 4.5.3 Too many recipients.

The internet mail standard requires that an SMTP SERVER accepts no
fewer than 100 recipients per message.

> I tried setting the default_destination_recipient_limit = 250

That is for the Postfix SMTP CLIENT.

The server limit is smtpd_recipient_limit (default: 1000).

        Wietse

> (instead of the standard 50) but it doenst work. I'm probably trying the
> wrong parameter here, but since i left that school at the end of last year -
> but they still call me for support - i don't really have  a lot of time to
> spend searching for a solution on this one. Can someone point me in the
> right direction here please?
>
> greetings
>

> Michael De Groote
> ICT-coordinator Sint-Pietersschool Korbeek-Lo
> ICT-support Sancta Maria Basisschool Leuven

Re: 4.5.3 too many recipients

Mark Goodge

Michael De Groote wrote:

> i have a very simple postfix setup running at school.
>
> now the principal wants to send mails to all the parents that
> registered their emailaddress and signed on for a newsletter every
> week. This causes him to get a 452: 4.5.3 Too many recipients.
>
> I tried setting the default_destination_recipient_limit = 250
> (instead of the standard 50) but it doenst work. I'm probably trying
> the wrong parameter here, but since i left that school at the end of
> last year - but they still call me for support - i don't really have
> a lot of time to spend searching for a solution on this one.

This isn't a Postfix issue; it's a mailing list management issue.

You need to use proper mailing list software instead of trying to send
it as a single email with all the recipients in the Bcc line (or, worse,
in the To or Cc).

There are three main options here: Either purchase dedicated software
which runs on Windows (simplest, but comes at a cost), or install
something like Mailman or majordomo on a Linux/BSD box (free, and easy
enough if you have the necessary skills but not something for a beginner).

> Can someone point me in the right direction here please?

http://www.google.com/search?q=mailing+list+software

Mark
http://mark.goodge.co.uk - my pointless blog
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk - my less pointless stuff

Re: 4.5.3 too many recipients

Jos Chrispijn

Uit een eerder bericht (21-11-2008 13:41):
i have a very simple postfix setup running at school.

now the principal wants to send mails to all the parents that registered their emailaddress and signed on for a newsletter every week.
This causes him to get a 452: 4.5.3 Too many recipients.
Do you CC 200 addresses in one message?
Jos Chrispijn

Re: 4.5.3 too many recipients

Wietse Venema
Jos Chrispijn:

> Uit een eerder bericht (21-11-2008 13:41):
>  cite="mid:[hidden email]"
>  type="cite">i have a very simple postfix setup running at school.<br>
> now the principal wants to send mails to all the parents that
> registered their emailaddress and signed on for a newsletter every week.<br>
> This causes him to get a 452: 4.5.3 Too many recipients.<br>
> message?<br>
> Jos Chrispijn<br>

No, one would use mailing list (example: mailman).

Re: 4.5.3 too many recipients

Michael De Groote
apparently, judging from the errors he's telling me about, yes...
and using a mailing list (like mailman,...) is out of the skill reach of either the principal or the people doing the admin stuff there now :/
And i'm not really having much spare time on my hands so i'd like keeping the extra stuff that needs to be installed and maintained to a minimum.

and previously - when using the mailserver from the isp (scarlet) the school is connected to as smtp server - this worked (again, according to him)

thanks all for the answers, but i don't yet see why he's getting the errors, since - according to the answers above - the related parameter is default set at 1000 ? When i asked him, he said it would be about 250 adresses he's putting in the bcc: field...

Michael De Groote
ICT-coordinator Sint-Pietersschool Korbeek-Lo
ICT-support Sancta Maria Basisschool Leuven

PS: for the sake of being clear: i agree TOTALLY that something like sending one message to 250 addresses isn't the way you're supposed to be handling email, but it's not my job anymore to convince him of that fact (it's the new guy's job... i wish him the best). I have a hell of a job convincing my current superiors of the same.. seems like people won't understand the phrase 'this is not the way it is supposed to be used. You should use other tools for this.'
 => 'Because it's not made to do this..'
  => 'Then i should never have been able to do it in the first place, shouldn't I?'
::: END OF DISCUSSION :::