5xx or 4xx Lever Error When mySQL Goes Down

5xx or 4xx Lever Error When mySQL Goes Down

Brian Puccio
Sorry if I missed this information somewhere, but if I have a single
MySQL database that store domains, accounts, aliases, etc and it goes
down, how does postfix respond to incoming mail and can this behavior
be changed?

Thanks!

Re: 5xx or 4xx Lever Error When mySQL Goes Down

Sahil Tandon
Brian Puccio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry if I missed this information somewhere, but if I have a single MySQL
> database that store domains, accounts, aliases, etc and it goes down, how
> does postfix respond to incoming mail and can this behavior be changed?

Can you show postconf -n?  Also see the soft_bounce parameter in postconf(5).

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

Re: 5xx or 4xx Lever Error When mySQL Goes Down

Brian Puccio:
> Sorry if I missed this information somewhere, but if I have a single
> MySQL database that store domains, accounts, aliases, etc and it goes
> down, how does postfix respond to incoming mail and can this behavior
> be changed?

Postfix figures out that the database lookup does not complete, it
will NOT conclude that users don't exist. Instead it returns an
error code and mail will be delivered later.

However, if you use PAM underneath libc, then unfortunately the
people who implemented PAM were not as careful, and they will
claim that users don't exist, and mail will bounce.

On Jul 26, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Can you show postconf -n?

# postconf -n
alias_maps = $alias_database
config_directory = /etc/postfix
message_size_limit = 40960000
mydestination = server1.digitalrhapsody.com, localhost,
localhost.localdomain
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 69.93.127.176/32
myorigin = /etc/mailname
relay_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_relay_domains_maps.cf
smtpd_delay_reject = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,
reject_non_fqdn_recipient,  reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
permit_mynetworks,  check_client_access hash:/var/lib/pop-before-smtp/
hosts,  reject_non_fqdn_recipient,    reject_unauth_destination,
reject_unauth_pipelining,     reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org  permit
smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
reject_non_fqdn_sender,  reject_unknown_sender_domain,  permit
virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:101
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/mail
virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/
mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit = 1048576000
virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 101
virtual_transport = virtual
virtual_uid_maps = static:101

Re: 5xx or 4xx Lever Error When mySQL Goes Down

Sahil Tandon
Brian Puccio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
>> Can you show postconf -n?
>
> # postconf -n

[...]

Wietse already answered your question; see his response.

--
Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>