A little OT: SPF

Muzaffer Tolga Özses
Hello,

For an e-mail not to fall into spam category, the sourcing server has to
have SPF record I think, or so I've been told. How do I check whether it
has a SPF record or not?

Regards,
mto

Re: A little OT: SPF

Erwan David
Le Tue 16/12/2008, Tolga disait
> Hello,
>
> For an e-mail not to fall into spam category, the sourcing server has to
> have SPF record I think, or so I've been told.

Some spams are sent from a spf compliant server, many non spam are sent from servers which do not implement spf. spf is a framework to tell which server are allowed to send mail in behalf of a given domain, no more, no less.

> How do I check whether it
> has a SPF record or not?

You should check spf ressources rather than postfix. If your question is how you can integrate spf verification to postfix, there are several policy servers or milters which could do the job.

Erwan

Re: A little OT: SPF

Tolga a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> For an e-mail not to fall into spam category, the sourcing server has to
> have SPF record I think, or so I've been told.

No.

$ host -t txt postfix.org
postfix.org has no TXT record
$ host -t txt yahoo.com
yahoo.com has no TXT record
$ host -t txt mail.com
mail.com has no TXT record

and so on.

hotmail "recommend" that you set SPF (even sender-id) but that doesn't
really guarantee that your mail won't disappear...

> How do I check whether it has a SPF record or not?

$ host -t txt ozses.net
ozses.net has no TXT record

so this domain does not have an SPF record.

$ host -t txt ietf.org
ietf.org descriptive text "v=spf1 ip4:64.170.98.0/26 ip4:64.170.98.64/28
ip4:64.170.98.80/28 ip4:64.170.98.96/29 ip4:208.66.40.224/27
ip6:2001:1890:1112:1::0/64 -all"

you can try gmail.com, hotmail.com, ... etc.

Please check
        http://www.openspf.org/
or other SPF related sites.

Re: A little OT: SPF

Scott Kitterman-4
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:14:26 +0200 Tolga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>For an e-mail not to fall into spam category, the sourcing server has to
>have SPF record I think, or so I've been told. How do I check whether it
>has a SPF record or not?

Oh dear, no.

You might want to reject mail that fails SPF checks, but not reject mail
due to lack of an SPF record.  There are  multiple policy server
implementation for checking SPF results.  You can find a couple at
http://www.openspf.org/Software.

Scott K