Accept undeliverable mails and send NDR

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Accept undeliverable mails and send NDR

Ramprasad-5
One of my clients sends mail using a custom application which *cannot*
recognize a smtpd error message .. like user-not-found, or
invalid-domain etc
Now they want our postfix server to accept all mails without checks and
send NDR's for undeliverable mails.

Can I write a special transport in postfix to simply accept the mail and
bounce back for some addresses. So that I waste none of my servers
processing for trying to even deliver these messages



for eg I would like to have a transport map file like this

/@hoatmail.com$/ accept_and_bounce:[127.0.0.1]











Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accept undeliverable mails and send NDR

Wietse Venema
ram:
> One of my clients sends mail using a custom application which *cannot*
> recognize a smtpd error message .. like user-not-found, or
> invalid-domain etc

In other words, they have a home-grown partial implementation of
the SMTP protocol. They can't be bothered to do it right and they
just want the eror messages to go away.

> Now they want our postfix server to accept all mails without checks and
> send NDR's for undeliverable mails.

And of course they will throw away the NDRs.

What you're asking is not supported. You can only turn off some
checks in Postfix.  In main.cf, specify "strict_rfc821_envelopes=no",
"smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = no", don't use
reject_unknown_sender_domain, reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
reject_unlisted_sender, reject_unlisted_recipient, etc.  Do not
use these settings on a server that receives mail from the Internet.

However, if their home-grown software sends invalid SMTP syntax
then Postfix will reject the command, and there is no way that
Postfix will be configurable to accept such stuff.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accept undeliverable mails and send NDR

Terry Carmen
In reply to this post by Ramprasad-5
ram wrote:
> One of my clients sends mail using a custom application which *cannot*
> recognize a smtpd error message .. like user-not-found, or
> invalid-domain etc
> Now they want our postfix server to accept all mails without checks and
> send NDR's for undeliverable mails.
>  
Even if you can make this work, it's still a bad idea, since the
outbound SMTP server will be blacklisted for sending to too many invalid
addresses. Because it ignores bounces, the mailing list will never be
updated to remove invalid recipients.

Terry


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accept undeliverable mails and send NDR

@lbutlr
On Mar 5, 2009, at 7:50, Terry Carmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ram wrote:
>> One of my clients sends mail using a custom application which  
>> *cannot*
>> recognize a smtpd error message .. like user-not-found, or
>> invalid-domain etc Now they want our postfix server to accept all  
>> mails without checks and
>> send NDR's for undeliverable mails.
> Even if you can make this work, it's still a bad idea, since the  
> outbound SMTP server will be blacklisted for sending to too many  
> invalid addresses. Because it ignores bounces, the mailing list will  
> never be updated to remove invalid recipients.

Spammers don't care.

I mean, come on, a custom SMTP that ignores errors? SPAMMER ALERT.