Accurate install guide for Postfix on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Accurate install guide for Postfix on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

pjakcity
I apologize if this is the wrong place.
Ive tryed to look through the internet on how to setup my own email server -
the whole package, and ive been trying for the last few day and had nothing
but errors and confusion.
ive been trying postfix with dovecot on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, running on a
virtual machine provided by oracle virtualbox. this is also running a apache
webserver as well.

All i want is enough understanding that wont take me years so i can set this
up, but understand what features are present and what they do (in a broad
sence)

Are there any tutorials that you guys know that can help me, that will work
or clearly explain what i have to change for my particular situation, and
dosnt take a genius to understand

I understand all the DNS related things, have a domain, and i dont really
mind what software i use to do it - i would just like to have a runing email
server.

Any help would be appreciated or a point to the place i need to be

Thanks in advance
Peter

Re: Accurate install guide for Postfix on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Jim Reid

> On 15 Sep 2017, at 11:07, pjakcity <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All i want is enough understanding that wont take me years so i can set this
> up, but understand what features are present and what they do (in a broad
> sence)

Note the O/P's email address

Dear Internet, please do my classwork for me.

Re: Accurate install guide for Postfix on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Darac Marjal
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 03:07:57AM -0700, pjakcity wrote:

>I apologize if this is the wrong place.
>Ive tryed to look through the internet on how to setup my own email server -
>the whole package, and ive been trying for the last few day and had nothing
>but errors and confusion.
>ive been trying postfix with dovecot on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, running on a
>virtual machine provided by oracle virtualbox. this is also running a apache
>webserver as well.
>
>All i want is enough understanding that wont take me years so i can set this
>up, but understand what features are present and what they do (in a broad
>sence)
>
>Are there any tutorials that you guys know that can help me, that will work
>or clearly explain what i have to change for my particular situation, and
>dosnt take a genius to understand
>
>I understand all the DNS related things, have a domain, and i dont really
>mind what software i use to do it - i would just like to have a runing email
>server.
>
>Any help would be appreciated or a point to the place i need to be
Hopefully, the following should get you started:

http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

--
For more information, please reread.

Re: Accurate install guide for Postfix on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

pjakcity:
> I apologize if this is the wrong place.
> Ive tryed to look through the internet on how to setup my own email server -
> the whole package, and ive been trying for the last few day and had nothing
> but errors and confusion.
> ive been trying postfix with dovecot on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, running on a
> virtual machine provided by oracle virtualbox. this is also running a apache
> webserver as well.

Why can't you install a pre-built binary package?

Re: Accurate install guide for Postfix on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema:

> pjakcity:
> > I apologize if this is the wrong place.
> > Ive tryed to look through the internet on how to setup my own email server -
> > the whole package, and ive been trying for the last few day and had nothing
> > but errors and confusion.
> > ive been trying postfix with dovecot on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, running on a
> > virtual machine provided by oracle virtualbox. this is also running a apache
> > webserver as well.
>
> Why can't you install a pre-built binary package?

Woops, wrong thread. Someone else was trying to build from source
and having difficulty with an unfamiliar system.

        Wietse