Aliases not working

Vince Sabio
I have an 'old' alias file in /etc/aliases (linked to
/etc/mail/aliases) that seems to be working fine; I haven't changed
it in years. Since that time, I have upgraded to postfix 2.5.1.

This morning, I added a new entry to the alias table, and ran
newaliases without error. I also did a "postfix reload". But the
alias is not being recognized; mail sent to the alias (from the
localhost) goes to the dead.letter file.

I have the following entry in my main.cf:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

Note: There is a "default" aliases file in /usr/local/etc/postfix/
which seems to have been installed with 2.5.1, but newaliases appears
to be using the one in /etc/ (based on how postfix is routing mail).
Is there any way to check which alias file is being used?

Vince Sabio                                                  [hidden email]

Re: Aliases not working

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Vince Sabio wrote:

> I have an 'old' alias file in /etc/aliases (linked to
> /etc/mail/aliases) that seems to be working fine; I haven't changed it
> in years. Since that time, I have upgraded to postfix 2.5.1.
>
> This morning, I added a new entry to the alias table, and ran
> newaliases without error. I also did a "postfix reload". But the alias
> is not being recognized; mail sent to the alias (from the localhost)
> goes to the dead.letter file.
>
> I have the following entry in my main.cf:
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
>
> Note: There is a "default" aliases file in /usr/local/etc/postfix/
> which seems to have been installed with 2.5.1, but newaliases appears
> to be using the one in /etc/ (based on how postfix is routing mail).
> Is there any way to check which alias file is being used?

'man 1 newaliases' says:

       newaliases
              Initialize the alias database.  If no input  file  is
specified
              (with  the  -oA  option,  see  below), the program
processes the
              file(s) specified with the alias_database configuration
parame-
              ter.

That command is for backwards compatibility purposes.
It is better practice to run 'postalias hash:/etc/aliases' (for your
case) especially if you don't have alias_database set.

Brian

Re: Aliases not working

Vince Sabio
** At 10:03 -0400 on 08/26/2008, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:

>Vince Sabio wrote:
>
>>  This morning, I added a new entry to the alias table, and ran
>>  newaliases without error. I also did a "postfix reload". But the alias
>>  is not being recognized; mail sent to the alias (from the localhost)
>  > goes to the dead.letter file.
>
>That command is for backwards compatibility purposes.
>It is better practice to run 'postalias hash:/etc/aliases' (for your
>case) especially if you don't have alias_database set.

That did it! So noted for future reference. Muchas gracias.

Vince Sabio                                                  [hidden email]