Aliases

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Aliases

Postfix-2
Hi All,
I have postfix mostly setup and working, everything seems to work except aliases.
 
I have an alias setup
 
testalias:    [hidden email]
 
I also use virtual mappings, so I have a line like this:
 
[hidden email] testalias
 
 
However, when I email [hidden email], it gets bounced back as: unkown user "testalias"
 
The alias map is getting built with newaliases and all the other virtual mappings work, I just can't seem to get the aliases to work.
 
In main.cf I have:
 
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
 
Thanks for any help,
Chris
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Aliases

Barney Desmond
2009/7/24 Postfix <[hidden email]>:
> I have an alias setup
> testalias:    [hidden email], [hidden email]
>
> I also use virtual mappings, so I have a line like this:
> [hidden email] testalias

That sounds about right.

> However, when I email [hidden email], it gets bounced back as:
> unkown user "testalias"

Show log entries for when this happens, the exact details are
important (you typo'd "unknown" :P)

> The alias map is getting built with newaliases and all the other virtual
> mappings work, I just can't seem to get the aliases to work.
>
> In main.cf I have:
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

Please show the output of `postconf -n`. While everything you've
described so far sounds like it should work in a "normal setup", it's
entirely likely something else is causing problems. While I don't have
an answer, one possibility is that the active values of
alias_{maps|database} aren't what you think they are, or perhaps
mydomain.com isn't properly "local".

As a note, the right-hand side of your virtual map (that *is* a
virtual_alias_map, right?) doesn't specify a domain. If memory serves,
postfix will automatically appead "@$myorigin", which may not be what
you expect. It's never caused me any problems, but it's generally
recommended to put full addresses on the right-hand side, eg.:
[hidden email]    [hidden email]

That RHS needs to be considered a "local" address, so it'll use your
/etc/aliases
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Aliases

Postfix-2
Thanks,
Putting the fqn in the virtual map:
[hidden email]    [hidden email]

worked. I didn't see this in the online docs, but I may have missed it.


----- Original Message -----
From: "Barney Desmond" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: Aliases


2009/7/24 Postfix <[hidden email]>:
> I have an alias setup
> testalias: [hidden email], [hidden email]
>
> I also use virtual mappings, so I have a line like this:
> [hidden email] testalias

That sounds about right.

> However, when I email [hidden email], it gets bounced back as:
> unkown user "testalias"

Show log entries for when this happens, the exact details are
important (you typo'd "unknown" :P)

> The alias map is getting built with newaliases and all the other virtual
> mappings work, I just can't seem to get the aliases to work.
>
> In main.cf I have:
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

Please show the output of `postconf -n`. While everything you've
described so far sounds like it should work in a "normal setup", it's
entirely likely something else is causing problems. While I don't have
an answer, one possibility is that the active values of
alias_{maps|database} aren't what you think they are, or perhaps
mydomain.com isn't properly "local".

As a note, the right-hand side of your virtual map (that *is* a
virtual_alias_map, right?) doesn't specify a domain. If memory serves,
postfix will automatically appead "@$myorigin", which may not be what
you expect. It's never caused me any problems, but it's generally
recommended to put full addresses on the right-hand side, eg.:
[hidden email]    [hidden email]

That RHS needs to be considered a "local" address, so it'll use your
/etc/aliases



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Aliases

mouss-4
Postfix a écrit :
> Thanks,
> Putting the fqn in the virtual map:
> [hidden email]    [hidden email]
>
> worked. I didn't see this in the online docs, but I may have missed it.
>

Addresses with a domain part get a @$myorigin added. see the ADDRESS
REWRITE README or the entry for myorigin in postconf manual.