Anyone have any good strategy for new email domain migrations?

Anyone have any good strategy for new email domain migrations?

Gary Fung-2
What is the best way to migrate a bunch of users from an old domain to
new domain without causing massive confusion for all our clients? Is
there any good strategy from postfix side that can be used? Basically
I'm looking for a scheme or rewrite of some sort that will allow our
clients to continue to see our old email addresses but somehow be
informed that a new email address is prefered.

Is setting a reply-to address the best there can be?

RE: Anyone have any good strategy for new email domain migrations?

Brian Collins-3
> What is the best way to migrate a bunch of users from an old domain to
> new domain without causing massive confusion for all our clients? Is
> there any good strategy from postfix side that can be used? Basically
> I'm looking for a scheme or rewrite of some sort that will allow our
> clients to continue to see our old email addresses but somehow be
> informed that a new email address is prefered.
>
> Is setting a reply-to address the best there can be?

You might try relocated maps
http://www.postfix.org/relocated.5.html
http://www.postfix.org/rewrite.html#relocated

We recently used it when we moved users from 6 domains to one new domain.
The sender gets a bounce along the lines of "User has moved to
[hidden email]".  Keep in mind, though, that the email will not be
forwarded to the new address.  You could probably use some creative
configuring to both send the bounces and forward the mail to the new
accounts.  But don't quote me on that.

--Brian

Re: Anyone have any good strategy for new email domain migrations?

Angelos Karageorgiou
Relocated_maps can be a bit gruesome in regards to handling
complains. It would be best to use  alias_maps
to rewrite the addresses to the new domain and mailertable (?)
to rewite the outgoing envelopes. At the same time you will have to
have all your users understand that the email system has changed and
THAT is the most difficult part!

angelos.vcf (516 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Anyone have any good strategy for new email domain migrations?

Gary Fung-2
Could you give a little more detail how the alias_maps here would help?