Auto Reply - user account disabled

jeffrey j donovan
Greetings

How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
disabled?

example.
incoming message for ' [hidden email] '
bounce
send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

or

send message " oldusername has a new address "

insights and flames welcome

-jeff

Re: Auto Reply - user account disabled

Wietse Venema
jeff donovan:
> Greetings
>
> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
> disabled?
>
> example.
> incoming message for ' [hidden email] '
> bounce
> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

> or
>
> send message " oldusername has a new address "

See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps

        Wietse

On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> jeff donovan:
>> Greetings
>>
>> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
>> disabled?
>>
>> example.
>> incoming message for ' [hidden email] '
>> bounce
>> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "
>
> You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

yes, thats what i told my people it's called a bounce. however they
would like me to create a nice message to send to the people.

>> or
>>
>> send message " oldusername has a new address "
>
> See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps

thanks.

> Wietse
>
>> insights and flames welcome
>>
>> -jeff

Re: Auto Reply - user account disabled

Wietse Venema
jeff donovan:

> On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > jeff donovan:
> >> Greetings
> >>
> >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
> >> disabled?
> >>
> >> example.
> >> incoming message for ' [hidden email] '
> >> bounce
> >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "
> >
> > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.
>
> yes, thats what i told my people it's called a bounce. however they
> would like me to create a nice message to send to the people.

Unfortunately, having your server send email would be a bad idea.

On today's internet your server would be harassing people about
email that they did not send, and if your server sends out enough
of such email, your server might even become blacklisted.

So the safe solution is to remove the account and let the remote
machine inform the sender.

For the users that no longer exist, you could set up an access
table with rules like this:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        permit_mynetworks
        permit_sasl_authenticated
        reject_unauth_destination
        check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/deactivated
        ...anti-spam measures here...

/etc/postfix/deactivated:
    [hidden email] 554 5.1.1 This account is no longer active

        Wietse

> >> or
> >>
> >> send message " oldusername has a new address "
> >
> > See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps
>
> thanks.
> >
> > Wietse
> >
> >> insights and flames welcome
> >>
> >> -jeff

Re: Auto Reply - user account disabled

Charles Marcus
On 7/1/2008, Wietse Venema ([hidden email]) wrote:
>> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
>> disabled?
>>
>> example.
>> incoming message for ' [hidden email] '
>> bounce
>> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

> You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

Alternatively (since I recently asked the same question), if you want a
more custom reject message than 'user unknown' (or relocated maps
provides), you can use  a check_recipient_access map in your
smtpd_recipient_restrictions...

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
  check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/x-employees,

x-employees contains entries like (one entry per line):

# X-employees we no longer accept mail for
[hidden email] REJECT I'm sorry but Name is no longer with CompanyName.
[hidden email] REJECT I'm sorry but Name is no longer with CompanyName.

Don't forget to postmap the x-employees file...

--

Best regards,

Charles