Auto Responder

Bailo, John

Can I set up an Auto-Responder using Postfix?

Using sendmail/procmail I used a recipe…but now I’m using Postfix/Fetchmail.

John Bailo
Web Developer
______________________________________

Bowne & Co, Inc.
20017 72nd Ave S
Kent, WA 98032
Office: 253/437-7085
Cell: 253/217-2776

Fax: 253/872-5602

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.

RE: Auto Responder

Bailo, John

I guess what I really want to is to continue using the procmail recipe I’m using with sendmail.

I’ve already enabled procmail for use with Postfix in the main.cf

It seems like it would work with Postfix except for the last line, where the away message is sent from a formail loop.

How do I convert:

cat message.text )| /usr/bin/sendmail -oi –t

To postfix?

Here is the entire script I’m using:

:/home/auto-reply # cat .procmailrc

VERBOSE=off

LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log

MAILDIR=$HOME

SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

#LOCKFILE=$HOME/mylockfile.lock

CACHEFILE=$HOME/.pm-already.cache

# Auto-responder for vacations. Please

# insert text in $MAILDIR/message.txt

# Avoid mail loops (don't reply to mail I might send myself

* ^[hidden email]

*!^FROM_DAEMON

# Store sender's address in cache if not there already

| formail -rD 8192 ${CACHEFILE}

:0 ehc

|(formail -r -A "Precedence: Auto" \

- -I"From: My Company<[hidden email]> " \

- -I"Subject: Automated acknowledgement" \

- -A"Content-type: text/html" \

- -A "X-Loop: [hidden email]"; \

cat message.text )| $SENDMAIL -oi -t

RE: Auto Responder

Bailo, John

Ok, looks like Postfix builds in a sendmail command of its own:

http://www.postfix.org/sendmail.1.html

So, in theory my procmail recipe should work as is!

I guess what I really want to is to continue using the procmail recipe I’m using with sendmail.

I’ve already enabled procmail for use with Postfix in the main.cf

It seems like it would work with Postfix except for the last line, where the away message is sent from a formail loop.

How do I convert:

cat message.text )| /usr/bin/sendmail -oi –t

To postfix?

Here is the entire script I’m using:

:/home/auto-reply # cat .procmailrc

VERBOSE=off

LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log

MAILDIR=$HOME

SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

#LOCKFILE=$HOME/mylockfile.lock

CACHEFILE=$HOME/.pm-already.cache

# Auto-responder for vacations. Please

# insert text in $MAILDIR/message.txt

# Avoid mail loops (don't reply to mail I might send myself

* ^[hidden email]

*!^FROM_DAEMON

# Store sender's address in cache if not there already

| formail -rD 8192 ${CACHEFILE}

:0 ehc

|(formail -r -A "Precedence: Auto" \

- -I"From: My Company<[hidden email]> " \

- -I"Subject: Automated acknowledgement" \

- -A"Content-type: text/html" \

- -A "X-Loop: [hidden email]"; \

cat message.text )| $SENDMAIL -oi -t

RE: Auto Responder

Bailo, John

Well, oddly enough, adding

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail

Did not seem to run my procmail recipe, or procmail at all globally.

I am running on openSuse 11 (could fetchmail be challenging it ?)

However, setting up a .forward file with

| /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75

Will run the recipe…this is sufficient for my auto responder account, but still wondering why mailbox_command did not work…

Ok, looks like Postfix builds in a sendmail command of its own:

http://www.postfix.org/sendmail.1.html

So, in theory my procmail recipe should work as is!

I guess what I really want to is to continue using the procmail recipe I’m using with sendmail.

I’ve already enabled procmail for use with Postfix in the main.cf

It seems like it would work with Postfix except for the last line, where the away message is sent from a formail loop.

How do I convert:

cat message.text )| /usr/bin/sendmail -oi –t

To postfix?

Here is the entire script I’m using:

:/home/auto-reply # cat .procmailrc

VERBOSE=off

LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log

MAILDIR=$HOME

SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

#LOCKFILE=$HOME/mylockfile.lock

CACHEFILE=$HOME/.pm-already.cache

# Auto-responder for vacations. Please

# insert text in $MAILDIR/message.txt

# Avoid mail loops (don't reply to mail I might send myself

* ^[hidden email]

*!^FROM_DAEMON

# Store sender's address in cache if not there already

| formail -rD 8192 ${CACHEFILE}

:0 ehc