Auto Response

kbajwa
To start with, I am pretty new to Postfix. My have search the net & explored
the Postfix web site.

My questions is; Which software is easy to install & setup for 'Auto
response' function. I noticed there are three software packages listed at
the Postfix site.

My system:

CentOS 5.1
Postfix (comes with CentOS)
Dovecot (comes with CentOS)

Thanks.

Kirt

Re: Auto Response

mouss-2
kbajwa wrote:
> To start with, I am pretty new to Postfix. My have search the net & explored
> the Postfix web site.
>
> My questions is; Which software is easy to install & setup for 'Auto
> response' function. I noticed there are three software packages listed at
> the Postfix site.

most are borked.

The old bsd vacation program is still the reference. It is available as
package for most OSes/distributions.

but you forgot to say how you deliver mail (virtual users? same uid for
all mailboxes?).

> My system:
>
> CentOS 5.1
>
> Postfix (comes with CentOS)
> Dovecot (comes with CentOS)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kirt

RE: Auto Response

kbajwa

>> most are borked.

What is borked? It mean they are broken & do not work!

>>The old bsd vacation program is still the reference. It is available as
>>package for most OSes/distributions.

Can you point me to the URL for this package? Is it included with CentOS 5.1
& under what module name?

>>but you forgot to say how you deliver mail (virtual users? same uid for
>>all mailboxes?).

Each mailbox has its own UID/PW.

Thanks for your help.

Kirti

Re: Auto Response

mouss-2
kbajwa wrote:
>>> most are borked.
>>>

> What is borked? It mean they are broken & do not work!

they seem to work, but they auto-respond when they should not
(responding to mailing lists, to other robots, ... etc) and/or they
respond to the wrong address (such as responding to the From: header
address)...

>>> The old bsd vacation program is still the reference. It is available as
>>> package for most OSes/distributions.
>>>

> Can you point me to the URL for this package? Is it included with CentOS 5.1
> & under what module name?

it's simply called "vacation" !

it may be already installed on your system. or maybe it's part of the
sendmail package.

if you can't find it, take a look at
    http://www.csamuel.org/software/vacation/
but there are no binary packages there.

if you're lucky, you can find it on some repository (dag?). it used to
be available for centos 4.*.

>>> but you forgot to say how you deliver mail (virtual users? same uid for
>>> all mailboxes?).
>>>

> Each mailbox has its own UID/PW.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kirti

Re: Auto Response

mouss-2
mouss wrote:
> [snip]

Since you're using dovecot, you can also take a look at

http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve#head-f083c4265adca5ce0fecf17d7684bd2dedbd5812

Re: Auto Response

James Brown
Postfix Admin has a good vacation system.

On 30/06/2008, at 3:04 AM, kbajwa wrote:

> To start with, I am pretty new to Postfix. My have search the net &
> explored
> the Postfix web site.
>
> My questions is; Which software is easy to install & setup for 'Auto
> response' function. I noticed there are three software packages
> listed at
> the Postfix site.
>
> My system:
>
> CentOS 5.1
> Postfix (comes with CentOS)
> Dovecot (comes with CentOS)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kirt

Re: Auto Response

mouss-2
James Brown wrote:
> Postfix Admin has a good vacation system.

Unfortunately, it does not use the envelope sender nor the envelope
recipient...

Re: Auto Response

Brent Bice
kbajwa wrote:

> To start with, I am pretty new to Postfix. My have search the net & explored
> the Postfix web site.
>
> My questions is; Which software is easy to install & setup for 'Auto
> response' function. I noticed there are three software packages listed at
> the Postfix site.
>
> My system:
>
> CentOS 5.1
> Postfix (comes with CentOS)
> Dovecot (comes with CentOS)

    One thing you might consider is that most auto-responders respond to
things they shouldn't (viruses, spam, mailing lists, etc) and this often
irritates people.  On a cyrus server, you can use sieve to do
server-side filtering and/or auto-responses. I've used the squirrelmail
plugin for sieve to configure vacation auto-responders and one nice
side-effect is that you can configure things so that sieve doesn't
auto-respond to email messages from mailing lists - a step in the right
direction.

    I have no idea if dovecot has anything like sieve or not - I've
never used dovecot and don't know a thing about it.

Brent

Re: Auto Response

mouss-2
Brent Bice wrote:

> kbajwa wrote:
>> To start with, I am pretty new to Postfix. My have search the net &
>> explored
>> the Postfix web site.
>>
>> My questions is; Which software is easy to install & setup for 'Auto
>> response' function. I noticed there are three software packages
>> listed at
>> the Postfix site.
>>
>> My system:
>>
>> CentOS 5.1
>> Postfix (comes with CentOS)
>> Dovecot (comes with CentOS)
>
>    One thing you might consider is that most auto-responders respond
> to things they shouldn't (viruses, spam, mailing lists, etc) and this
> often irritates people.  On a cyrus server, you can use sieve to do
> server-side filtering and/or auto-responses. I've used the
> squirrelmail plugin for sieve to configure vacation auto-responders
> and one nice side-effect is that you can configure things so that
> sieve doesn't auto-respond to email messages from mailing lists - a
> step in the right direction.
>
>    I have no idea if dovecot has anything like sieve or not - I've
> never used dovecot and don't know a thing about it.

dovecot has dovecot-sieve (not all features are available at this time,
but it's ongoing). but I have never used its vacation part.

Re: Auto Response

Julian Cowley
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, mouss wrote:

> Brent Bice wrote:
>>     One thing you might consider is that most auto-responders respond to
>>  things they shouldn't (viruses, spam, mailing lists, etc) and this often
>>  irritates people.  On a cyrus server, you can use sieve to do server-side
>>  filtering and/or auto-responses. I've used the squirrelmail plugin for
>>  sieve to configure vacation auto-responders and one nice side-effect is
>>  that you can configure things so that sieve doesn't auto-respond to email
>>  messages from mailing lists - a step in the right direction.
>>
>>     I have no idea if dovecot has anything like sieve or not - I've never
>>  used dovecot and don't know a thing about it.
>
> dovecot has dovecot-sieve (not all features are available at this time, but
> it's ongoing). but I have never used its vacation part.

It works fine, but be sure to use the latest version.  Some refinements
to the RFC 3834 guidelines (don't respond to mailing lists, etc.) are
only in version dovecot-sieve 1.0.3 onwards.

http://www.dovecot.org/releases/sieve/dovecot-sieve-1.0.3.tar.gz