Autoresponder

David Mehler
Hello,

I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
postfixadmin.

I saw one featured in a howtoforge article called Autoresponse 1.6.3
but that has been taken down, which is unfortunate, because how it
worked, sending an email to an address sounded great for my needs.

If anyone has this, or has any suggestions i'd appreciate them. I have
looked on the postfix page and the autoresponders there are paid
products, and the one that isn't uses an LDAP format which I am not
using.

Thanks.
Dave.

Re: Autoresponder

Dirk Stöcker
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, David Mehler wrote:

> I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
> postfixadmin.
>
> I saw one featured in a howtoforge article called Autoresponse 1.6.3
> but that has been taken down, which is unfortunate, because how it
> worked, sending an email to an address sounded great for my needs.
>
> If anyone has this, or has any suggestions i'd appreciate them. I have
> looked on the postfix page and the autoresponders there are paid
> products, and the one that isn't uses an LDAP format which I am not
> using.

Although I dislike autoresponders it is part of the sieve filter for
dovecot:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Examples#Vacation_auto-reply

If you use dovecot already e.g. for IMAP, then you can switch local
delivery to dovecot and the vacation filter of dovecot-sieve can take over
the auto-response. As far as I have read the docs the auto-responder of
dovecot/sieve minimizes the negative effects of auto-responders (sending
single mail only, ignoring mailinglists and bulk email, ...).

Setup: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix

Major benefit is the server side mail filtering in my eyes which was
the major motivation for me to install it :-)

Configuration of the sieve filter is done in user directory
(.dovecot.sieve), so mail users can individually configure the
autoresponder (when in vacation) without the admin.

Ciao
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: Autoresponder

David Mehler
Hi,

Thanks, but doesn't that require a shell account for users to
configure vacation? If so, that's a deal braker for me, I don't want
to give virtual users access to the system.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 4/15/16, Dirk Stöcker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, David Mehler wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
>> postfixadmin.
>>
>> I saw one featured in a howtoforge article called Autoresponse 1.6.3
>> but that has been taken down, which is unfortunate, because how it
>> worked, sending an email to an address sounded great for my needs.
>>
>> If anyone has this, or has any suggestions i'd appreciate them. I have
>> looked on the postfix page and the autoresponders there are paid
>> products, and the one that isn't uses an LDAP format which I am not
>> using.
>
> Although I dislike autoresponders it is part of the sieve filter for
> dovecot:
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Examples#Vacation_auto-reply
>
> If you use dovecot already e.g. for IMAP, then you can switch local
> delivery to dovecot and the vacation filter of dovecot-sieve can take over
> the auto-response. As far as I have read the docs the auto-responder of
> dovecot/sieve minimizes the negative effects of auto-responders (sending
> single mail only, ignoring mailinglists and bulk email, ...).
>
> Setup: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix
>
> Major benefit is the server side mail filtering in my eyes which was
> the major motivation for me to install it :-)
>
> Configuration of the sieve filter is done in user directory
> (.dovecot.sieve), so mail users can individually configure the
> autoresponder (when in vacation) without the admin.
>
> Ciao
> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: Autoresponder

Eric Broch
I'm not sure of your email client software, but Thunderbird and
Roundcube can be configured to interact with Sieve rules. You or the
admin creates the global rules for all users and your users turn them on
and off as needed in their client software which only entails a
checkbox...If I remember correctly. It's been a while.

On 4/15/2016 2:52 PM, David Mehler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, but doesn't that require a shell account for users to
> configure vacation? If so, that's a deal braker for me, I don't want
> to give virtual users access to the system.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.
>

> On 4/15/16, Dirk Stöcker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, David Mehler wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
>>> postfixadmin.
>>>
>>> I saw one featured in a howtoforge article called Autoresponse 1.6.3
>>> but that has been taken down, which is unfortunate, because how it
>>> worked, sending an email to an address sounded great for my needs.
>>>
>>> If anyone has this, or has any suggestions i'd appreciate them. I have
>>> looked on the postfix page and the autoresponders there are paid
>>> products, and the one that isn't uses an LDAP format which I am not
>>> using.
>> Although I dislike autoresponders it is part of the sieve filter for
>> dovecot:
>>
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Examples#Vacation_auto-reply
>>
>> If you use dovecot already e.g. for IMAP, then you can switch local
>> delivery to dovecot and the vacation filter of dovecot-sieve can take over
>> the auto-response. As far as I have read the docs the auto-responder of
>> dovecot/sieve minimizes the negative effects of auto-responders (sending
>> single mail only, ignoring mailinglists and bulk email, ...).
>>
>> Setup: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix
>>
>> Major benefit is the server side mail filtering in my eyes which was
>> the major motivation for me to install it :-)
>>
>> Configuration of the sieve filter is done in user directory
>> (.dovecot.sieve), so mail users can individually configure the
>> autoresponder (when in vacation) without the admin.
>>
>> Ciao
>> --
>> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: Autoresponder

Peter Ajamian
On 16/04/16 06:59, David Mehler wrote:
> I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
> postfixadmin.

In addition to sieve which was already mentioned the vacation script
that comes with postfixadmin can be installed and work independently of
postfixadmin.  There are plugins for roundcube (and I think squirrlmail)
to interface with it, and it's not difficult to write your own as it
simply requires updating SQL tables.

Again, you do need to get it with postfixadmin, but it can be installed
and used independently and does not actually require postfixadmin to run.

Peter

Re: Autoresponder

Antoine Nguyen-2
On 15/04/2016 20:59, David Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
> postfixadmin.
>
> I saw one featured in a howtoforge article called Autoresponse 1.6.3
> but that has been taken down, which is unfortunate, because how it
> worked, sending an email to an address sounded great for my needs.
>
> If anyone has this, or has any suggestions i'd appreciate them. I have
> looked on the postfix page and the autoresponders there are paid
> products, and the one that isn't uses an LDAP format which I am not
> using.

Hi,

you can take a look at Modoboa (http://modoboa.org/), it provides an
autoresponder.

Antoine Nguyen

Re: Autoresponder

Mauricio Tavares
On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/04/16 06:59, David Mehler wrote:
>> I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
>> postfixadmin.
>

> In addition to sieve which was already mentioned the vacation script
> that comes with postfixadmin can be installed and work independently of
> postfixadmin.  There are plugins for roundcube (and I think squirrlmail)
> to interface with it, and it's not difficult to write your own as it
> simply requires updating SQL tables.
>
> Again, you do need to get it with postfixadmin, but it can be installed
> and used independently and does not actually require postfixadmin to run.

     I thought you could get it by itself; at least that's what I
remember. Also, if you have LDAP you can set it up that way. We'd had
a webpage users would login (kerberos ticket in my case) and then set
it up.

> Peter
gao

Re: Autoresponder

gao
Hi Dave,

Here is the copy of the autoresponder 1.6.3 Perl script.

Gao

On 16-04-15 11:59 AM, David Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for an autoresponder, free, and one that does not rely on
> postfixadmin.
>
> I saw one featured in a howtoforge article called Autoresponse 1.6.3
> but that has been taken down, which is unfortunate, because how it
> worked, sending an email to an address sounded great for my needs.
>
> If anyone has this, or has any suggestions i'd appreciate them. I have
> looked on the postfix page and the autoresponders there are paid
> products, and the one that isn't uses an LDAP format which I am not
> using.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.

autoresponse-1.6.3.tar.gz (23K) Download Attachment