Avoidance of duplicate mails reg

anant
Hi,

We have migrated to a new domain yyy.com.  We also continue to receive
mails on old domain xxx.com.

When a sender sends a mail to [hidden email] (old domain), mail is
received and delivered to user abcd.  Abcd when he replies to all (his
from email address will be [hidden email] [new domain], and hence, mail
is also sent to [hidden email] [old domain].  So, the sent mail is also
received back to the same sender.

When the actual recipient receives the mail, he will have [hidden email]
and [hidden email] in the address list. So, when he replies to that
mail, 2 mails will be sent to the same user.

What's the best way that, the user receives only one mail, when both
domains are in To addresses?

--
Anant S Athavale
IMPORTANT NOTE:

ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC) was renamed as U R Rao Satellite Centre (URSC).
Hence, the existing domain (isac.gov.in) is changed to new domain ursc.gov.in
resulting into change of e-mail address from [hidden email] to
[hidden email].
Please note this change and update your contact details for new domain
(ursc.gov.in).
message.

Re: Avoidance of duplicate mails reg

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> We have migrated to a new domain yyy.com.  We also continue to receive
> mails on old domain xxx.com.
>
> When a sender sends a mail to [hidden email] (old domain), mail is
> received and delivered to user abcd.  Abcd when he replies to all (his
> from email address will be [hidden email] [new domain], and hence, mail
> is also sent to [hidden email] [old domain].  So, the sent mail is also
> received back to the same sender.
>
> When the actual recipient receives the mail, he will have [hidden email]
> and [hidden email] in the address list. So, when he replies to that
> mail, 2 mails will be sent to the same user.
>
> What's the best way that, the user receives only one mail, when both
> domains are in To addresses?

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    virtual_alias_maps =
        hash:/etc/postfix/old-to-new ...other existing maps...

/etc/postfix/old-to-new:
    [hidden email] [hidden email]

# postmap /etc/postfix/old-to-new
# postfix reload

Instead of hash, you can use any supported type.

----- Message from Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> ---------
    Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Wietse Venema <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Avoidance of duplicate mails reg
      To: Postfix users <[hidden email]>

[...]

        Wietse

----- End message from Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> -----

Thank you.

Anant S Athavale

IMPORTANT NOTE:
ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC) was renamed as U R Rao Satellite Centre (URSC). Hence, the existing domain (isac.gov.in) is changed to new domain ursc.gov.in resulting into change of e-mail address from [hidden email] to [hidden email]. Please note this change and update your contact details for new domain (ursc.gov.in).

गोपनीयता सूचनाःयह ई मेल अपने संलग्न दस्तावेजों के साथ केवल अभीष्ट प्राप्तकर्ता (ओं) के उपयोग के लिए है । इस ई मेल में गोपनीय और विशेषाधिकृत सूचनायें भी हो सकती हैं । इनका अनाधिकृत पुनरीक्षण, उपयोग अथवा वितरण निषिद्ध है । यदि आप अभीष्ट प्राप्तकर्ता नहीं हैं तो, कृपया प्रेषक से संपर्क करें और ई मेल की सभी प्रतियों को नष्ट कर दें।

    Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Wietse Venema <[hidden email]>
      To: Postfix users <[hidden email]>

[...]

Sorry for the trouble.  But, after doing that, when I sent a mail from outside to both these email addresses [hidden email] and [hidden email] (in a single mail) , 2 emails came instead of one.  I want that, if both these domains are listed in the same mail, only one mail should be received.

Hope this clarifies my requirement.

Anant S Athavale

IMPORTANT NOTE:
ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC) was renamed as U R Rao Satellite Centre (URSC). Hence, the existing domain (isac.gov.in) is changed to new domain ursc.gov.in resulting into change of e-mail address from [hidden email] to [hidden email]. Please note this change and update your contact details for new domain (ursc.gov.in).

गोपनीयता सूचनाःयह ई मेल अपने संलग्न दस्तावेजों के साथ केवल अभीष्ट प्राप्तकर्ता (ओं) के उपयोग के लिए है । इस ई मेल में गोपनीय और विशेषाधिकृत सूचनायें भी हो सकती हैं । इनका अनाधिकृत पुनरीक्षण, उपयोग अथवा वितरण निषिद्ध है । यदि आप अभीष्ट प्राप्तकर्ता नहीं हैं तो, कृपया प्रेषक से संपर्क करें और ई मेल की सभी प्रतियों को नष्ट कर दें।

Re: Avoidance of duplicate mails reg

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:

>   ----- Message from Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> ---------
> ? ? Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
> ? ? From: Wietse Venema <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Avoidance of duplicate mails reg
> ? ? ? To: Postfix users <[hidden email]>
>
> > [hidden email]:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We have migrated to a new domain yyy.com.? We also continue to receive
> >> mails on old domain xxx.com.
> >>
> >> When a sender sends a mail to [hidden email] (old domain), mail is
> >> received and delivered to user abcd.? Abcd when he replies to all (his
> >> from email address will be [hidden email] [new domain], and hence, mail
> >> is also sent to [hidden email] [old domain].? So, the sent mail is also
> >> received back to the same sender.
> >>
> >> When the actual recipient receives the mail, he will have [hidden email]
> >> and [hidden email] in the address list. So, when he replies to that
> >> mail, 2 mails will be sent to the same user.
> >>
> >> What's the best way that, the user receives only one mail, when both
> >> domains are in To addresses?
> >
> > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> > ? ?virtual_alias_maps =
> > ? ? ? ? hash:/etc/postfix/old-to-new ...other existing maps...
> >
> > /etc/postfix/old-to-new:
> > ? ?[hidden email]? ? ? ? [hidden email]
> >
> > # postmap /etc/postfix/old-to-new
> > # postfix reload
> >
> > Instead of hash, you can use any supported type.
> > ? ? ? ? Wietse
>
> ----- End message from Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> -----
>
> Sorry for the trouble.? But, after doing that, when I sent a mail from
> outside to both these email addresses [hidden email] and
> [hidden email] (in a single mail) , 2 emails came instead of one.? I
> want that, if both these domains are listed in the same mail, only one
> mail should be received.

You need to prove (logs!) that Postfix received ONE message with
multiple recipients.

If Postfix receives multiple messages, then Postfix will not combine
them into one.

Re: Avoidance of duplicate mails reg

Marvin Renich
* [hidden email] <[hidden email]> [191031 09:00]:

> > > We have migrated to a new domain yyy.com.  We also continue to receive
> > > mails on old domain xxx.com.
> > >
> > > When a sender sends a mail to [hidden email] (old domain), mail is
> > > received and delivered to user abcd.  Abcd when he replies to all (his
> > > from email address will be [hidden email] [new domain], and hence, mail
> > > is also sent to [hidden email] [old domain].  So, the sent mail is also
> > > received back to the same sender.
> > >
> > > When the actual recipient receives the mail, he will have [hidden email]
> > > and [hidden email] in the address list. So, when he replies to that
> > > mail, 2 mails will be sent to the same user.
> > >
> > > What's the best way that, the user receives only one mail, when both
> > > domains are in To addresses?
>
> Sorry for the trouble.  But, after doing that, when I sent a mail from
> outside to both these email addresses [hidden email] and
> [hidden email] (in a single mail) , 2 emails came instead of one.  I
> want that, if both these domains are listed in the same mail, only one
> mail should be received.

The problem here is not Postfix, it is the mail user agent and the
(carbon-based) mail user.

Users of yyy.com, when replying to mail that was sent to their xxx.com
address, must ensure that the reply does not include their old xxx.com
address in the From, To, or CC list.

For those few who still use a command-line mail client, mutt (and
neomutt) can handle this for them, when properly configured.  I have no
clue how to get other MUAs, such as Thunderbird, or (ugh!) Gmail, to do
that automatically, or if they even can.

In the absence of a MUA that is not, or cannot be, configured to do it
automatically, it is the user's responsibility to adjust the recipient
lists appropriately.

...Marvin