Backwards-compatibility setting

Erik Thuning
Hi!

I noticed my site is running compatibility_level=0, which I want to
change. From what I can gather at
http://www.postfix.org/COMPATIBILITY_README.html, it seems that the
compatibility messages largely get triggered when postfix comes across a
message where they are relevant, not on service startup etc.

So, I ran a quick check through all my servers' mail logs (4 weeks back)
looking for these messages, and nothing showed up. Given that these logs
actually reflect typical usage, it seems like I'm in the clear.

Is there anything else I can do to verify that none of my setings will
get changed in a surprising manner when switching compatibility levels?

Thanks,
Erik

Re: Backwards-compatibility setting

Wietse Venema
Erik Thuning:

> Hi!
>
> I noticed my site is running compatibility_level=0, which I want to
> change. From what I can gather at
> http://www.postfix.org/COMPATIBILITY_README.html, it seems that the
> compatibility messages largely get triggered when postfix comes across a
> message where they are relevant, not on service startup etc.
>
> So, I ran a quick check through all my servers' mail logs (4 weeks back)
> looking for these messages, and nothing showed up. Given that these logs
> actually reflect typical usage, it seems like I'm in the clear.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to verify that none of my setings will
> get changed in a surprising manner when switching compatibility levels?

You are doing the right thing. If no warnings trigger, then the
compatibility_level should be safe to change without visible effects.

        Wietse