Being tormented by a time out

12

Re: Add Throttle to outbound email?

Wietse Venema
Sahil Tandon:

> > > This is why, above, I wrote _if_ the OP wants to HOLD messages in the
> > > _active_ queue.
> >
> > Better tools than cut have been posted before. Piping garbage into
> > postsuper -h - is not a good idea.
>
> How is the output of cut in last example "garbage"?

The queueID string length depends on the file system.

Re: Add Throttle to outbound email?

Victor Duchovni
On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 07:41:25PM -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:

> > > This is why, above, I wrote _if_ the OP wants to HOLD messages in the
> > > _active_ queue.
> >
> > Better tools than cut have been posted before. Piping garbage into
> > postsuper -h - is not a good idea.
>
> How is the output of cut in last example "garbage"?

What do you see when you run:

        mailq | cut -d '*' -f 1 | less

is it sensible input for "postsuper -d -"

Re: Add Throttle to outbound email?

Sahil Tandon
Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > How is the output of cut in last example "garbage"?
>
> The queueID string length depends on the file system.

Yep, the first example was wrong, but the revised version extracts
queueIDs of any length from the active queue. Another example that would
extract queueIDs (active or not) might be something like:

% mailq | grep '^[[:alnum:]]' | grep sender | tr -d '*!' | cut -d \  -f 1

There are many (and certainly more elegant) ways to do this, but I
would like to understand why the output of cut, in and of itself, is
considered garbage.

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

Re: Add Throttle to outbound email?

Sahil Tandon
Victor Duchovni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > How is the output of cut in last example "garbage"?
>
> What do you see when you run:
>
> mailq | cut -d '*' -f 1 | less

That is not what I wrote; one has to grep for the sender address first,
pass the resulting lines to cut and then pipe to "postsuper -h -".
Though I think instead of dismissing cut, we could just pass the "-s"
flag which will suppress lines that lack the chosen delimiter. For
example, this line returns nothing if Postfix has no messages in the
active queue:

% mailq | grep [hidden email] | cut -s -d "*" -f 1 | less

> is it sensible input for "postsuper -d -"

Probably just a typo above, but for posterity, this thread is about
holding (not deleting) messages in the queue from a specific sender.

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

Re: Add Throttle to outbound email?

Jos Chrispijn
James Robertson wrote:
> We have a client who has done a mailout which adds up to over 1GB in
> size.

> 1160910 Kbytes in 988 Requests
>
> Is there a way I can slow down or throttle the speed at which email is
> being sent from a specific email address once the mail is already active?
Just increase Greylisting by adjusting config for repeated messages?

regards,
Jos

Re: Add Throttle to outbound email?

Noel Jones-2
Jos Chrispijn wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
>> We have a client who has done a mailout which adds up to over 1GB in
>> size.

>> 1160910 Kbytes in 988 Requests
>>
>> Is there a way I can slow down or throttle the speed at which email is
>> being sent from a specific email address once the mail is already active?
> Just increase Greylisting by adjusting config for repeated messages?
>
> regards,
> Jos

We're talking about mail already in the queue.  Greylisting is
for incoming mail.

OP could use eg. policyd to limit the rate of mail entering
his queue from a single sender, but that only helps NEXT time.

--
Noel Jones
12