Best way to update postfix/spamassassin from client?

Best way to update postfix/spamassassin from client?

Leo Ofenstein
I've got a couple 1,000 junk emails in a "junk" folder on my Windoze
laptop, that sa didn't catch. What's the best way to make them available
for the sa learning?

Re: Best way to update postfix/spamassassin from client?

Chris St Denis-4
Leo Ofenstein wrote:
> I've got a couple 1,000 junk emails in a "junk" folder on my Windoze
> laptop, that sa didn't catch. What's the best way to make them
> available for the sa learning?

If you use IMAP you can move them to another imap folder then dump that
folder into sa-learn.

--
Chris St Denis
Programmer
"Smart Internet Solutions For Businesses"

Chris St Denis wrote:
> Leo Ofenstein wrote:
>> I've got a couple 1,000 junk emails in a "junk" folder on my Windoze
>> laptop, that sa didn't catch. What's the best way to make them
>> available for the sa learning?
>>
> If you use IMAP you can move them to another imap folder then dump
> that folder into sa-learn.

Welllll... the domain does have a webmail (squirrelmail) although I
don't use it... and that's IMAP, right? So for /home/leo/Maildir/...
what does "another imap folder" consist of?

Leo Ofenstein wrote:

> Chris St Denis wrote:
>> Leo Ofenstein wrote:
>>> I've got a couple 1,000 junk emails in a "junk" folder on my Windoze
>>> laptop, that sa didn't catch. What's the best way to make them
>>> available for the sa learning?
>>>
>> If you use IMAP you can move them to another imap folder then dump
>> that folder into sa-learn.
>>
> Welllll... the domain does have a webmail (squirrelmail) although I
> don't use it... and that's IMAP, right? So for /home/leo/Maildir/...
> what does "another imap folder" consist of?

That depends on which IMAP server you are using.

For CourierIMAP at least it would be something like
/home/leo/Maildir/.Spam/cur

Where "Spam" is the IMAP folder name.

Leo Ofenstein wrote:
> I've got a couple 1,000 junk emails in a "junk" folder on my Windoze
> laptop, that sa didn't catch. What's the best way to make them
> available for the sa learning?

if the messages are "intact" (header not eaten by echange/outlook/...),
then you can try to find them and submit them to sa-learn.

for example, if the messages are in a maildir, then look for the
maildir, and try something like

$ sa-learn --spam /path/to/maildir/cur/

you must run the command above s the user who should learn.

PS. This not really a postfix question. it's better to ask on the
spamassassin users list.

mouss wrote:

> Leo Ofenstein wrote:
>> I've got a couple 1,000 junk emails in a "junk" folder on my Windoze
>> laptop, that sa didn't catch. What's the best way to make them
>> available for the sa learning?
>>

> if the messages are "intact" (header not eaten by
> echange/outlook/...), then you can try to find them and submit them to
> sa-learn.
>
> for example, if the messages are in a maildir, then look for the
> maildir, and try something like
>
> $ sa-learn --spam /path/to/maildir/cur/
>

> you must run the command above s the user who should learn.
>

> PS. This not really a postfix question. it's better to ask on the
> spamassassin users list.

Sorry - I see so many sa quest/ans here it just seemed natural. Thanks
for the help.The client is Thunderbird on the Windoze laptop - I'll look
at the maildir there and see what format. The mail server is on a FC4
machine (I'm trying to update to FC8, but the old machine crashed, so I
have only one computer, and it doesn't like the SATA drive that has FC8
on it... "everything goes wrong at once" must be some corollary of
Murphy's Law).

Re: Best way to update postfix/spamassassin from client?

mouss-2
Leo Ofenstein wrote:

> mouss wrote:
>> Leo Ofenstein wrote:
>>> I've got a couple 1,000 junk emails in a "junk" folder on my Windoze
>>> laptop, that sa didn't catch. What's the best way to make them
>>> available for the sa learning?
>>>

>> if the messages are "intact" (header not eaten by
>> echange/outlook/...), then you can try to find them and submit them
>> to sa-learn.
>>
>> for example, if the messages are in a maildir, then look for the
>> maildir, and try something like
>>
>> $ sa-learn --spam /path/to/maildir/cur/
>>

>> you must run the command above s the user who should learn.
>>

>> PS. This not really a postfix question. it's better to ask on the
>> spamassassin users list.
>>

> Sorry - I see so many sa quest/ans here it just seemed natural. Thanks
> for the help.The client is Thunderbird on the Windoze laptop - I'll
> look at the maildir there and see what format. The mail server is on a
> FC4 machine (I'm trying to update to FC8, but the old machine crashed,
> so I have only one computer, and it doesn't like the SATA drive that
> has FC8 on it... "everything goes wrong at once" must be some
> corollary of Murphy's Law).

if you can't find the files on the server, you can save them from
thunderbird and run sa-learn. (if they are in TB folder on your client
machine, you can try to locate the file where TB stores them. otherwise,
copy-paste, but this is too much work).

mouss wrote:

> Leo Ofenstein wrote:
>> mouss wrote:
>>>>

>>> if the messages are "intact" (header not eaten by
>>> echange/outlook/...), then you can try to find them and submit them
>>> to sa-learn.
>>>
>>> for example, if the messages are in a maildir, then look for the
>>> maildir, and try something like
>>>
>>> $ sa-learn --spam /path/to/maildir/cur/
>>>

>>> you must run the command above s the user who should learn.
>>>

>>> PS. This not really a postfix question. it's better to ask on the
>>> spamassassin users list.
>>>

>> Sorry - I see so many sa quest/ans here it just seemed natural.
>> Thanks for the help.The client is Thunderbird on the Windoze laptop -
>> I'll look at the maildir there and see what format. The mail server
>> is on a FC4 machine (I'm trying to update to FC8, but the old machine
>> crashed, so I have only one computer, and it doesn't like the SATA
>> drive that has FC8 on it... "everything goes wrong at once" must be
>> some corollary of Murphy's Law).
>
> if you can't find the files on the server, you can save them from
> thunderbird and run sa-learn. (if they are in TB folder on your client
> machine, you can try to locate the file where TB stores them.
> otherwise, copy-paste, but this is too much work).

The messages are all in one file (named "junk") on the client (which is
actually a USB drive running the great and wonderful PortableApps). I'll
look for them on the server, but I have to get sshd started again once I
get back to where the server is - I was having a DoS from
"itargeted.com" and the SonicWall firewall only (apparently) works with
IP addresses, so I stopped sshd temporarily so he'd give up and go
away... which he did. I know the messages are not in /cur or /new or
/.spam - am I correct in thinking we want separate files here, the way
they are on the server (i.e. in /new or /cur)? and not with all messages
in one big file as t-bird has them?

Thanks, mouss

Leo Ofenstein wrote:

> [snip]
>>

> The messages are all in one file (named "junk") on the client (which
> is actually a USB drive running the great and wonderful PortableApps).
> I'll look for them on the server, but I have to get sshd started again
> once I get back to where the server is - I was having a DoS from
> "itargeted.com" and the SonicWall firewall only (apparently) works
> with IP addresses, so I stopped sshd temporarily so he'd give up and
> go away... which he did.

Instead of sutting sshd down, just change the port...

no, "mbox" works as well. check sa-learn manpage for the options you
want to use.

mouss wrote:

> Leo Ofenstein wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>

>> The messages are all in one file (named "junk") on the client (which
>> is actually a USB drive running the great and wonderful
>> PortableApps). I'll look for them on the server, but I have to get
>> sshd started again once I get back to where the server is - I was
>> having a DoS from "itargeted.com" and the SonicWall firewall only
>> (apparently) works with IP addresses, so I stopped sshd temporarily
>> so he'd give up and go away... which he did.
>
> Instead of sutting sshd down, just change the port...
(Smacks forehead) Good idea - thanks!
>> I know the messages are not in /cur or /new or /.spam - am I correct
>> in thinking we want separate files here, the way they are on the
>> server (i.e. in /new or /cur)? and not with all messages in one big
>> file as t-bird has them?
>
> no, "mbox" works as well. check sa-learn manpage for the options you
> want to use.
I missed that... I need to learn to read (see) screens as well as I do
paper.

Thanks again!