Bounce queue times

NeilNjae
I run Postfix to handle my personal mail.  I also act as a backup MX host for
a friend.

To give him time to return from holiday and fix a broken Postfix installation,
I want to keep messages for the backup domains for up to 21 days.  However, I
want undeliverable messages for other domains to be returned to the sender
after 3 days.

I've tried this setup of /etc/postfix/main.cf, but it doesn't do what I want.
If a message can't be delivered to, say [hidden email], Postfix will
keep trying for 21 days before giving up, and that's a bit long.

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_mx_backup \
                               reject_unauth_destination

permit_mx_backup_networks = other.com other.org
maximal_queue_lifetime = 21d
bounce_queue_lifetime = 3d

Any suggestions?

(It's Posfix 2.5.1)

Thanks,

Neil.
Neil Smith                               http://www.njae.me.uk
Milton Keynes Roleplaying Games Club  http://www.mk-rpg.org.uk

Re: Bounce queue times

Noel Jones-2
Neil Smith wrote:

> I run Postfix to handle my personal mail.  I also act as a backup MX host for
> a friend.
>
> To give him time to return from holiday and fix a broken Postfix installation,
> I want to keep messages for the backup domains for up to 21 days.  However, I
> want undeliverable messages for other domains to be returned to the sender
> after 3 days.
>
> I've tried this setup of /etc/postfix/main.cf, but it doesn't do what I want.
> If a message can't be delivered to, say [hidden email], Postfix will
> keep trying for 21 days before giving up, and that's a bit long.
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_mx_backup \
>                                reject_unauth_destination
>
> permit_mx_backup_networks = other.com other.org
> maximal_queue_lifetime = 21d
> bounce_queue_lifetime = 3d
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (It's Posfix 2.5.1)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil.

Queue lifetimes are global.  To hold mail for one domain
longer, you need to set up another instance of postfix, and
send all the long-lived mail there with a transport maps
entry.  Postfix 2.6 and newer has tools to make multiple
instances easier, but it can be done manually with any version.

Re: Bounce queue times

Roderick A. Anderson-4
Neil Smith wrote:
> I run Postfix to handle my personal mail.  I also act as a backup MX host for
> a friend.
>
> To give him time to return from holiday and fix a broken Postfix installation,
> I want to keep messages for the backup domains for up to 21 days.  However, I
> want undeliverable messages for other domains to be returned to the sender
> after 3 days.

This will probably cause a serious amount of flames but how about just
doing a HOLD action from header_checks for anything to the domain(s)?

When he returns remove the statement and release the messages.

\\||/
Rod
--

> I've tried this setup of /etc/postfix/main.cf, but it doesn't do what I want.
> If a message can't be delivered to, say [hidden email], Postfix will
> keep trying for 21 days before giving up, and that's a bit long.
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_mx_backup \
>                                reject_unauth_destination
>
> permit_mx_backup_networks = other.com other.org
> maximal_queue_lifetime = 21d
> bounce_queue_lifetime = 3d
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (It's Posfix 2.5.1)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil.

Re: Bounce queue times

NeilNjae
On Wednesday 07 October 2009 7:30:06 pm Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> This will probably cause a serious amount of flames but how about just
> doing a HOLD action from header_checks for anything to the domain(s)?
>
> When he returns remove the statement and release the messages.

But that would require me remembering to add and remove the action, and it's
never a good idea to rely on me doing something...

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 3:38:47 pm Noel Jones wrote:
> Queue lifetimes are global.  To hold mail for one domain
> longer, you need to set up another instance of postfix, and
> send all the long-lived mail there with a transport maps
> entry.  Postfix 2.6 and newer has tools to make multiple
> instances easier, but it can be done manually with any version.
> http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html

Thanks.  I was hoping it would be something easy, but I suppose these things
are sent to try us.  I'll probably give it a go when Ubuntu 9.10 comes out,
which should include Postfix 2.6.

Thanks, both, for the suggestions.

Neil.