Caching of transport entries

Markus Schwengel
hi folks,

I'm using the dpkg-version of postfix (2.3.8) on debian etch.
I'm about to migrate mailusers from one system to another. For that I
need the postfix transport target to be read from a postgresql db.

The problem is that updating the transport target for a certain user
isn't noticed by postfix right away. It seems to have a caching
mechanism. I need to reload postfix for the changes to take effect.

Is it possible to disable this caching?

Any help is very appreciated.

regards,
Markus

Re: Caching of transport entries

Wietse Venema
Markus Schwengel:

> hi folks,
>
> I'm using the dpkg-version of postfix (2.3.8) on debian etch.
> I'm about to migrate mailusers from one system to another. For that I
> need the postfix transport target to be read from a postgresql db.
>
> The problem is that updating the transport target for a certain user
> isn't noticed by postfix right away. It seems to have a caching
> mechanism. I need to reload postfix for the changes to take effect.
>
> Is it possible to disable this caching?

No. Postfix remembers ONE lookup result. To flush this cache, send
mail to some other destination.

Re: Caching of transport entries

Markus Schwengel
 > No. Postfix remembers ONE lookup result. To flush this cache, send
 > mail to some other destination.

What do you mean by "send mail to some other destination"?
Any incoming mail has to be sent to the right destination (old or new
system). I need to know that destination otherwise I may lose mails.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Schwengel
Unix System Administration

daybyday Media GmbH
Schomburgstraße 91, D - 22767 Hamburg

Geschäftsführer Joachim von Ahn
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 72 383
http://www.daybyday.de/unternehmen.html

Wietse Venema wrote:
> No. Postfix remembers ONE lookup result. To flush this cache, send
> mail to some other destination.

Markus Schwengel:
> What do you mean by "send mail to some other destination"?

Any destination that does not match the cached transport map lookup
result. This will force a database lookup and purge the cached
result. There is only one cached result.

The exception is the search key of "*", whose result is cached
during the life time of a trivial-rewite process.

Re: Caching of transport entries

Markus Schwengel
OK, now I get it.
Thanks a lot for your help!