Can I talk to gmail?

zch.open
Hi everybody!

I'm a new user of postfix. Now I have a problem about talking to gmail.

I work in a small company, and my computer's os is debian on which i installed postfix. My ip address is an inner ip address and It's seems there is only one outer ip address for my whole company. And I get my ip address through DHCP. Now I have a question: can I talk to gmail via my postfix?

I tried to send a mail to my gmail account like: mail zch.open{at}gmail.com. Of course it failed and When I checked the postqueue, I got message like this:

-------------------------------------------message----------------------------
connect to alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[209.85.217.29]:25: connection refused
-------------------------------------------message over--------------------------------

So if I wanna talk to gmail, what should I do under my condition?

Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you.

2009-10-21

zch.open

Re: Can I talk to gmail?

Stan Hoeppner
zch.open put forth on 10/21/2009 1:01 AM:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm a new user of postfix. Now I have a problem about talking to gmail.

Maybe you should start by telling us exactly what it is you want to
do/accomplish with Postfix, on Debian, inside your small company, from a
dynamic IP address.

Please give us the big picture of what you're trying to accomplish.  My
gut instinct tells me Postfix probably isn't the right tool for the job
you have in mind, but we're all ears.

Stan

Re: Can I talk to gmail?

Eero Volotinen-2
zch.open kirjoitti:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm a new user of postfix. Now I have a problem about talking to gmail.
>
> I work in a small company, and my computer's os is debian on which i installed postfix. My ip address is an inner ip address and It's seems there is only one outer ip address for my whole company. And I get my ip address through DHCP. Now I have a question: can I talk to gmail via my postfix?
>
> I tried to send a mail to my gmail account like: mail zch.open{at}gmail.com. Of course it failed and When I checked the postqueue, I got message like this:
>
> -------------------------------------------message----------------------------
> connect to alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[209.85.217.29]:25: connection refused
> -------------------------------------------message over--------------------------------
>
> So if I wanna talk to gmail, what should I do under my condition?
>
> Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you.

Possibly your isp is blocking direct tcp 25 port connections?

Eero

Re: Re: Can I talk to gmail?

zch.open

Eero, Thank you for your reply!

I do not know if my ISP blocked direct tcp 25 port connections. It failed every time when I tried to connect any mail server's tcp 25 port using "telnet mail.**** 25".

I know gmail's smtp port is 465, but my postfix seemed to connect gmail server's port 25(as the message in the postqueue showed). Do I have to configure my profiles or these jobs should be done by the DNS server?

Should I register to my ISP to talk to gmail under the dynamic ip address?

2009-10-21

zch.open

Eero

Re: Re: Can I talk to gmail?

zch.open

Thank you for your quick reply, stan!

I think I failed to express my thought -_-!

What I'm going to accomplish is to build a mail server in my Intranet using postfix. And I hope this mail server can talk to gmail or other e-mail server on the Internet. So my co-workers can use my mail server.

Is it possible to talk to gmail under my condition(dynamic ip)?

Do I have to register a domain name on the Internet and bind it to my computer?
Do I have to register to my ISP?
Do I need a local DNS server?

2009-10-21

zch.open

Stan

Can I talk to gmail?

Stan Hoeppner
zch.open put forth on 10/21/2009 1:45 AM:
> Thank you for your quick reply, stan!
>
> I think I failed to express my thought -_-!
>
> What I'm going to accomplish is to build a mail server in my Intranet
> using postfix. And I hope this mail server can talk to gmail or other
> e-mail server on the Internet. So my co-workers can use my mail server.

You need to back waaaay up.  What is so awfully wrong with your small
company's current email system that it's prompted you to build an
internal "intranet" mail server.  You said it's a "small" company.

Or, are you just doing this because it's "cool" or "neat" and want to
impress your coworkers?

It seems you're approaching this whole thing backwards.  Postfix is a
tool to deliver email from one point to another.  It satisfies a need to
transport mail.  It sounds like you decided to run a Postfix server
without identifying a need for this tool.

Is this correct?

--
Stan