Can send but not receive

Tom Browder
My remote postfix installation can send but not receive, and I'm sure
I have a bad setting somewhere.  When sending to the remote server,
from my personal gmail account I finally get a response from gmail as
shown in the attached file.

I can put my main.cf, master.cf in a github gist if there is any
interest.  My mail logs are not interesting at all, at least to me,
but I am happy to put one or more of them on github, too.

Thanks.

-Tom

original_msg.txt (21K) Download Attachment

Re: Can send but not receive

Ralph Seichter
On 28.08.17 15:06, Tom Browder wrote:

> I can put my main.cf, master.cf in a github gist if there is any
> interest. My mail logs are not interesting at all, at least to me,
> but I am happy to put one or more of them on github, too.

Please study http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html for starters.
The information might change your mind about logs (and Github). ;-)

-Ralph

Re: Can send but not receive

Postfix User-2
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 08:06:39 -0500, Tom Browder stated:

>My remote postfix installation can send but not receive, and I'm sure
>I have a bad setting somewhere.  When sending to the remote server,
>from my personal gmail account I finally get a response from gmail as
>shown in the attached file.
>
>I can put my main.cf, master.cf in a github gist if there is any
>interest.  My mail logs are not interesting at all, at least to me,
>but I am happy to put one or more of them on github, too.

To report problems to Postfix, first read this:
http://www.postfix.com/DEBUG_README.html#mail

Specifically:

Command output from:

    "postconf -n". Please do not send your main.cf file, or 1000+ lines of
    postconf command output.

    "postconf -Mf" (Postfix 2.9 or later).

Better, provide output from the postfinger tool. This can be found at
http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger.

If the problem is SASL related, consider including the output from the
saslfinger tool. This can be found at
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/saslfinger/.

Jerry

Re: Can send but not receive

Tom Browder
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 08:22 Ralph Seichter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please study http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html for starters.

I had studied it and have done up through verbose messages with - v but saw nothing. However, I forgot about the peer setting which is probably why the logs are quiet.

Thanks, Ralph!

-Tom

Re: Can send but not receive

/dev/rob0
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 08:06:39AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> My remote postfix installation can send but not receive, and I'm
> sure I have a bad setting somewhere.  When sending to the remote
> server, from my personal gmail account I finally get a response
> from gmail as shown in the attached file.
snip

> There was a temporary problem delivering your message to
> [hidden email]. Gmail will retry for 46 more hours.
> You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

Assuming this address (the @domain part) is correct and not munged,
there's enough information here to figure out what's wrong.

rob0@harrier:~$ dig novco1968tbs.com. mx +short
10 mail.novco1968tbs.com.
rob0@harrier:~$ telnet $(dig +short mail.novco1968tbs.com) 25
Trying 142.54.186.6...
telnet: connect to address 142.54.186.6: No route to host

Looks like a firewall problem, most likely.  You have to have your
port 25 open if you wish to receive mail exchange from other sites.

> I can put my main.cf, master.cf in a github gist if there is any
> interest.  My mail logs are not interesting at all, at least to me,
> but I am happy to put one or more of them on github, too.

As has been explained by other posters, no, that is not how this
mailing list works.  In any case, this does not appear to be a
Postfix issue, yet.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: Can send but not receive

/dev/rob0
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 01:35:12PM +0000, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 08:22 Ralph Seichter
> <[hidden email]> wrote: ...
>
> > Please study http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html for starters.
>
> I had studied it and have done up through verbose messages with - v
> but saw nothing. However, I forgot about the peer setting which is
> probably why the logs are quiet.

You absolutely DO NOT need verbose logging.  Turn that off.

Logs are quiet because nothing is able to connect to you.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: Can send but not receive

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 08:06:39AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:

> There was a temporary problem delivering your message to [hidden email]. Gmail will retry for 46 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.
>
> Learn more here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720
>
> The response was:
>
> The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720
> [mail.novco1968tbs.com. 142.54.186.6: generic::failed_precondition: connect error (0): error]

This is a much too long-winded description of the same symptoms you'd
see with "posttls-finger" or "swaks".

    $ posttls-finger novco1968tbs.com
    posttls-finger: Failed to establish session to novco1968tbs.com via mail.novco1968tbs.com: connect to mail.novco1968tbs.com[142.54.186.6]:25: Connection refused

[ Google really should do a better job of reporting SMTP delivery
  in a form that won't scare naive users, but still retains sufficient
  technical detail for experts.  I don't think that

      generic::failed_precondition: connect error (0): error

  meets that requirement. ]

You have nothing listening on port 25 on your public IP address.
Perhaps you have the "inet_interfaces = loopback-only" safety net
still enabled.

For further help, follow up with configuration details as requested by others.

Re: Can send but not receive

Tom Browder
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 08:51 Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:

For further help, follow up with configuration details as requested by others.

The best advice for this dummy (me) was to check the firewall. I still had a block on port 25 left from an aborted attempt to install Webmin a few months ago which I forgot about.  I unblocked it and that solved the current problem.

Thanks for all the advice, I am now getting outgoing mail and I'll probably be asking for more help later.

Best regards,

-Tom