Cannot connect to postfix

Bob Lydiate
I installed postfix server on Ubuntu 16.04 using a youtube video from 'randomthoughts'. All of the testing and everything worked just fine, still does. When I try to use Outlook to connect to my email account on my server, I get nothing. Outlook says it was rejected, the logs on the server do not even reflect that a connection was attempted. I have checked /var/logs/syslog, /var/logs/mail.log, /var/logs/mail.err, /var/logs/auth.log. I have rechecked my setup step by step and still cannot connect. This does not only happen through Outlook, but through Thunderbird which is actually on the server. After several days of this, I am at a total loss, and have no idea where to look next. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert Lydiate

Re: Cannot connect to postfix

Noel Jones-2
On 6/15/2016 2:44 PM, Bob Lydiate wrote:

> I installed postfix server on Ubuntu 16.04 using a youtube video
> from 'randomthoughts'. All of the testing and everything worked just
> fine, still does. When I try to use Outlook to connect to my email
> account on my server, I get nothing. Outlook says it was rejected,
> the logs on the server do not even reflect that a connection was
> attempted. I have checked /var/logs/syslog, /var/logs/mail.log,
> /var/logs/mail.err, /var/logs/auth.log. I have rechecked my setup
> step by step and still cannot connect. This does not only happen
> through Outlook, but through Thunderbird which is actually on the
> server. After several days of this, I am at a total loss, and have
> no idea where to look next. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Robert Lydiate

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html

If you need more help, please see:
Be prepared to share:
- 'postconf -n' output
- any modifications you've made to master.cf
- what tests you've performed that seem to work
- what tests you've performed that seem to fail
- what happened when something didn't work the way you expected

Note: do NOT turn on debug logging in postfix.  Everything you need
is in the normal logging and will get lost in the flood of unrelated
information.

Re: Cannot connect to postfix

Bob Lydiate:

> I installed postfix server on Ubuntu 16.04 using a youtube video from
> 'randomthoughts'. All of the testing and everything worked just fine, still
> does. When I try to use Outlook to connect to my email account on my
> server, I get nothing. Outlook says it was rejected, the logs on the server
> do not even reflect that a connection was attempted. I have checked
> /var/logs/syslog, /var/logs/mail.log, /var/logs/mail.err,
> /var/logs/auth.log. I have rechecked my setup step by step and still cannot
> connect. This does not only happen through Outlook, but through Thunderbird
> which is actually on the server. After several days of this, I am at a
> total loss, and have no idea where to look next. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Basic test from a client machine:

Linux, Mac:
    bash$ telnet hostname 25

Windows:
    C:\>  telnet hostname 25

If the telnet command fails, you may need to update firewall rules.

Re: Cannot connect to postfix

Boris Behrens
Sure this is a problem with postfix?
Maybe there is no dovecot or so installed.

For me it looks like thunderbird uses the maildir, because it is installed on the server.

Just my 5 cent.

Boris

> Am 16.06.2016 um 12:19 schrieb Wietse Venema <[hidden email]>:
>
> Bob Lydiate:
>> I installed postfix server on Ubuntu 16.04 using a youtube video from
>> 'randomthoughts'. All of the testing and everything worked just fine, still
>> does. When I try to use Outlook to connect to my email account on my
>> server, I get nothing. Outlook says it was rejected, the logs on the server
>> do not even reflect that a connection was attempted. I have checked
>> /var/logs/syslog, /var/logs/mail.log, /var/logs/mail.err,
>> /var/logs/auth.log. I have rechecked my setup step by step and still cannot
>> connect. This does not only happen through Outlook, but through Thunderbird
>> which is actually on the server. After several days of this, I am at a
>> total loss, and have no idea where to look next. Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>
> Basic test from a client machine:
>
> Linux, Mac:
>    bash$ telnet hostname 25
>
> Windows:
>    C:\>  telnet hostname 25
>
> If the telnet command fails, you may need to update firewall rules.
>
> Wietse

Re: Cannot connect to postfix

Bob Lydiate
Thank you all, I figured it out, but wouldn't have without your ideas. It wasn't a postfix problem. It was the system network cards. When I got that worked out, it seems like mail works just fine, as long as I remember to use ssl/tls. So now I need to ask one of my users to try from their end. Again, thanks to all who made suggestions.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Noel Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6/15/2016 2:44 PM, Bob Lydiate wrote:
> I installed postfix server on Ubuntu 16.04 using a youtube video
> from 'randomthoughts'. All of the testing and everything worked just
> fine, still does. When I try to use Outlook to connect to my email
> account on my server, I get nothing. Outlook says it was rejected,
> the logs on the server do not even reflect that a connection was
> attempted. I have checked /var/logs/syslog, /var/logs/mail.log,
> /var/logs/mail.err, /var/logs/auth.log. I have rechecked my setup
> step by step and still cannot connect. This does not only happen
> through Outlook, but through Thunderbird which is actually on the
> server. After several days of this, I am at a total loss, and have
> no idea where to look next. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Robert Lydiate

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html

If you need more help, please see:
Be prepared to share:
- 'postconf -n' output
- any modifications you've made to master.cf
- what tests you've performed that seem to work
- what tests you've performed that seem to fail
- what happened when something didn't work the way you expected

Note: do NOT turn on debug logging in postfix.  Everything you need
is in the normal logging and will get lost in the flood of unrelated
information.

In Christ

Robert Lydiate