Case folding with address extensions

Joel Reicher-2
The mailbox transport I use is a pipe to an MDA that treats the username
case-sensitively, so I have given the "u" flag in the transport, but
I also have

recipient_delimiter = +

and the address extensions are being downcased as well.

Does postfix offer a better solution, will it, or is this the wrong
approach?

I can hack the MDA to make it case-insensitive if that's the most
appropriate way to fix this.

Thanks,

        - Joel

Re: Case folding with address extensions

Victor Duchovni
On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 04:15:39PM +1100, Joel Reicher wrote:

> The mailbox transport I use is a pipe to an MDA that treats the username
> case-sensitively, so I have given the "u" flag in the transport, but
> I also have
>
> recipient_delimiter = +
>
> and the address extensions are being downcased as well.
>
> Does postfix offer a better solution, will it, or is this the wrong
> approach?
>
> I can hack the MDA to make it case-insensitive if that's the most
> appropriate way to fix this.

Addresses SHOULD be case-insensitive, so your MDA should indeed be able
to handle case-folded addresses. You could also try a more recent version
of Postfix, there was some work a while back to limit the folding of
address extensions. If the issue is still in 2.5.5, please post more
configuration details and logs.

Re: Case folding with address extensions

Joel Reicher:
> The mailbox transport I use is a pipe to an MDA that treats the username
> case-sensitively, so I have given the "u" flag in the transport, but
> I also have
>
> recipient_delimiter = +
>
> and the address extensions are being downcased as well.

Postfix behaves as documented: the pipe(8) "u" option folds the
entire localpart.

If you want additional controls for user and extension, then you are
welcome to draft an implementation. It is mostly a matter of cloning
existing code and documentation, plus invoking split_addr()
appropriately.

        Wietse