CentOS 8 KVM -- Reboot Yields fatal: parameter inet_interfaces Error

CentOS 8 KVM -- Reboot Yields fatal: parameter inet_interfaces Error

Greg Sims
Thank you all for your feedback on this issue.

The network on this KVM is configured statically in the kickstart installation file.

I applied Peter's solution and it works perfectly.

There is a straight-forward workaround to this issue.

  * set "inet_interfaces = all" in main.cf (the default)
  * only open firewall ports for interfaces that Postfix should receive email from

Postfix likely does not perform the same initialization checks with this configuration and the issue does not exist as a result.  I will likely use this workaround as I do not need to watch for a future packaging update in CentOS 8 that might conflict with Peter's solution.

Thank you again!! Greg

Re: CentOS 8 KVM -- Reboot Yields fatal: parameter inet_interfaces Error

Peter Ajamian
On 26/06/20 4:13 am, Greg Sims wrote:
> I applied Peter's solution and it works perfectly.

That's great to hear.

> I will likely
> use this workaround as I do not need to watch for a future packaging
> update in CentOS 8 that might conflict with Peter's solution.

It's not actually a workaround, it's the correct solution.  The changes
you applied will be added to a supplemental file so that future changes
that CentOS makes to the postfix.services file will not overwrite it or
cause issues.

It's also correct for CentOS not to include this setting by default
because the default Postfix settings as shipped by CentOS only require
the loopback interface to be up, so it is not necessary for Postfix to
wait until all the interfaces are up unless you modify the Postfix
config to listen on other interfaces.

Peter