CentOS Linux 8 is being practically abolished

CentOS Linux 8 is being practically abolished

Nikolaos Milas
As a long-term member of the postfix community, allow me to draw your
attention to the new serious change in CentOS Linux.

Not quite a postfix issue, but an important (negative IMHO) development
in the open source community.

You might want to read:
https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream

A petition has started on this:

https://www.change.org/p/centos-governing-board-do-not-destroy-centos-by-using-it-as-a-rhel-upstream

If you agree, you may want to sign/forward.

With due respect to the community,
Nick Milas
National Observatory of Athens
Greece

Re: CentOS Linux 8 is being practically abolished

Specktator

For what it's worth I wanted to state that I've signed for this petition guys and that we need to be aware of such actions on FOSS.

All the best,

Specktator

On 9/12/20 4:36 μ.μ., Nikolaos Milas wrote:
As a long-term member of the postfix community, allow me to draw your attention to the new serious change in CentOS Linux.

Not quite a postfix issue, but an important (negative IMHO) development in the open source community.

You might want to read: https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream

A petition has started on this:

https://www.change.org/p/centos-governing-board-do-not-destroy-centos-by-using-it-as-a-rhel-upstream

If you agree, you may want to sign/forward.

With due respect to the community,
Nick Milas
National Observatory of Athens
Greece

Re: CentOS Linux 8 is being practically abolished

Christos Chatzaras

> On 9 Dec 2020, at 16:36, Nikolaos Milas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a long-term member of the postfix community, allow me to draw your attention to the new serious change in CentOS Linux.
>
> Not quite a postfix issue, but an important (negative IMHO) development in the open source community.
>
> You might want to read: https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream
>
> A petition has started on this:
>
> https://www.change.org/p/centos-governing-board-do-not-destroy-centos-by-using-it-as-a-rhel-upstream
>
> If you agree, you may want to sign/forward.
>
> With due respect to the community,
> Nick Milas
> National Observatory of Athens
> Greece

FreeBSD user here, but I sign the petition as this is bad news for the open source community and colleagues that use CentOS.

Re: CentOS Linux 8 is being practically abolished

Yuval Levy
On Wed, 2020-12-09 at 17:44 +0200, specktator wrote:
> we need to be *aware of such actions on FOSS.*

+1

this looks like history repeating itself:  back in 1999-2000 Red Hat
pulled the switch on their (whatever the name was) community edition,
trying to coerce users into paid RHEL subscriptions.  No thanks back
then, no thanks today.

Luckily, the universe of FOSS distros is varied and competitive.  Fork
them!  Or better: join a distro with a better track record.

Ultimately, the ethics of the organization is determined by the ethics
of the individuals and it follows them wherever they go.  This kind of
conduct seems to be engrained in that strain of DNA for more than two
decades, and you do not want to be anywhere near it.  Bad apples.

Me always happy to pay for valuable work/development/admin, but
absolutely allergic to taxes, ransom, walled gardens, and other
coercitive shenanigans.

--
Yuval Levy, JD, MBA, CFA
Ontario-licensed lawyer

Re: CentOS Linux 8 is being practically abolished

Viktor Dukhovni
I don't think this is the right forum for Linux advocacy.
It would perhaps be best if this thread moved elsewhere.

Re: CentOS Linux 8 is being practically abolished

Antonio Leding

100% agree that PF mailer is not the best place to discuss this so absent any other suggestion, does Reddit make sense? Please let me know if anyone has picked up this discussion somewhere else…

Thanks…