Change gateway on bounce

Peter
Hey guys,

I have been thinking if postfix has capability to forward a bounced email to another server. I know I can relay emails using transport but can I relay (retry) an email from a different server? Let's say the target server says 'blacklisted' and I'd just forward that email to another server so it's sent out from there?

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Change gateway on bounce

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Jul 27, 2017, at 11:17 AM, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been thinking if postfix has capability to forward a bounced email to another server. I know I can relay emails using transport but can I relay (retry) an email from a different server? Let's say the target server says 'blacklisted' and I'd just forward that email to another server so it's sent out from there?

Yes, but if that server only sends originally refused mail, its "reputation" will be terrible and pretty soon all of its mail will be rejected too.

Best to just go with "no means no".  If you're sending mail the provider's users don't want, don't try to sneak past their filters.  If the recipients do want the mail, work with the receiving system's postmaster to resolve the issue.

Re: Change gateway on bounce

Matthew McGehrin
Peter,

As of Postfix 2.3 you can use smtp_fallback_relay.

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_fallback_relay
Optional list of relay hosts for SMTP destinations that can't be found
or that are unreachable. With Postfix 2.2 and earlier this parameter is
called fallback_relay.

-- Matthew