Clearing messages on hold

Josef Vybíhal
Hi list,
is it okay (meaning if I am unknowingly breaking something by doing it) when I clear "on hold" messages on the filesystem level? Meaning that I am periodically cleaning /var/spool/postfix/hold directory from files older than x.

Is it acceptable approach, or should I rather stick to postsuper -d?

Thanks

Re: Clearing messages on hold

Wietse Venema
Josef Vyb?hal:
> Hi list,
> is it okay (meaning if I am unknowingly breaking something by doing it)
> when I clear "on hold" messages on the filesystem level? Meaning that I am
> periodically cleaning /var/spool/postfix/hold directory from files older
> than x.
>
> Is it acceptable approach, or should I rather stick to postsuper -d?

postsuper is the supported tool. Postfix 3.5 supports "postsuper -f"
to expire and email return a bounce message to the sender.

Re: Clearing messages on hold

Josef Vybíhal
Thanks, the messages in hold are mostly spams evaluated by rspamd. So my desire is "just" to clean them and not really send bounces back.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 2:02 PM Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Josef Vyb?hal:
> Hi list,
> is it okay (meaning if I am unknowingly breaking something by doing it)
> when I clear "on hold" messages on the filesystem level? Meaning that I am
> periodically cleaning /var/spool/postfix/hold directory from files older
> than x.
>
> Is it acceptable approach, or should I rather stick to postsuper -d?

postsuper is the supported tool. Postfix 3.5 supports "postsuper -f"
to expire and email return a bounce message to the sender.

Re: Clearing messages on hold

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
> postsuper is the supported tool. Postfix 3.5 supports "postsuper
> -f" to expire email and return a bounce message to the sender.

Josef Vyb?hal:
> Thanks, the messages in hold are mostly spams evaluated by rspamd.
> So my desire is "just" to clean them and not really send bounces
> back.

On my little server, I use a script to routinely review (postcat)
and delete (postsuper) messages in the hold queue. Using the "hold"
queue for this purpose does not work for larger deployments.

        Wietse