Compile configuration

Jeffrey Shawn Klotz-2
Is there an "easy" way to tell how postfix was compiled?

I'm going to re compile on a mac mini.  So of the paths aren't it common
places.  Last time I did this I messed up SASL big time.

I'd like to use the same paths as the original compile for compatibility.

Thanks...

Re: Compile configuration

Noel Jones-2
Jeffrey Shawn Klotz wrote:

> Is there an "easy" way to tell how postfix was compiled?
>
> I'm going to re compile on a mac mini.  So of the paths aren't it common
> places.  Last time I did this I messed up SASL big time.
>
> I'd like to use the same paths as the original compile for compatibility.
>
> Thanks...

There should be a file named "makedefs.out" in
$config_directory that shows the options and settings used
when postfix was compiled.

You should be able to re-create your makedefs command from the
contents of this file.

Note the contents of makedefs.out may not be suitable for
direct copy-paste into a command line; some quoting may be
necessary.

Noel Jones

Re: Compile configuration

Jeffrey Shawn Klotz-2
Unfortunately, they do not include the original compile directory when
they ship the system.

Noel Jones wrote:

> Jeffrey Shawn Klotz wrote:
>> Is there an "easy" way to tell how postfix was compiled?
>>
>> I'm going to re compile on a mac mini.  So of the paths aren't it
>> common places.  Last time I did this I messed up SASL big time.
>>
>> I'd like to use the same paths as the original compile for
>> compatibility.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>

> There should be a file named "makedefs.out" in $config_directory that
> shows the options and settings used when postfix was compiled.
>
> You should be able to re-create your makedefs command from the
> contents of this file.
>
> Note the contents of makedefs.out may not be suitable for direct
> copy-paste into a command line; some quoting may be necessary.

Re: Compile configuration

Noel Jones:

> Jeffrey Shawn Klotz wrote:
> > Is there an "easy" way to tell how postfix was compiled?
> >
> > I'm going to re compile on a mac mini.  So of the paths aren't it common
> > places.  Last time I did this I messed up SASL big time.
> >
> > I'd like to use the same paths as the original compile for compatibility.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> There should be a file named "makedefs.out" in
> $config_directory that shows the options and settings used
> when postfix was compiled.
>
> You should be able to re-create your makedefs command from the
> contents of this file.
>
> Note the contents of makedefs.out may not be suitable for
> direct copy-paste into a command line; some quoting may be
> necessary.

If you take the EXPORT line in makedefs.out, you get a pretty
good version of what to cut-and-paste.

For example, with a line like this:

EXPORT  = AUXLIBS='-lcdb -lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/local/lib -lsasl2 -L/usr/local/lib -lldap -L/usr/local/lib -llber -L/usr/local/lib -lpcre' CCARGS='-DDEF_CONFIG_DIR=\"/some/where\" -DHAS_PCRE -I/usr/local/include -DSNAPSHOT' OPT='-O' DEBUG='-g'

You'd end up doing:

make makefiles AUXLIBS='-lcdb -lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/local/lib -lsasl2 -L/usr/local/lib -lldap -L/usr/local/lib -llber -L/usr/local/lib -lpcre' CCARGS='-DDEF_CONFIG_DIR=\"/some/where\" -DHAS_PCRE -I/usr/local/include -DSNAPSHOT' OPT='-O' DEBUG='-g'

Or, if you are brave:

    $ grep EXPORT makedefs.out | sed 's/^EXPORT =/make makefiles /' | sh

Where EXPORT is followed by TAB and =.

Re: Compile configuration

Jeffrey Shawn Klotz wrote:
> Unfortunately, they do not include the original compile directory when
> they ship the system.

I said config_directory, which is where the default main.cf
resides, not the compile directory.

However, if yours is a vendor-supplied build, they may not
have provided the makedefs.out file (if not, complain to the
vendor).

--
Noel Jones