Configuration problem — Postfix + Sympa

Phil Stracchino
I'm running Postfix 3.5.6, and in the process of replacing GNU Mailman
2.1.33 (which is EOL) with Sympa 6.2.56.  I have everything working,
finally, EXCEPT that Postfix cannot deliver to Postfix lists.

I've made Sympa's queue directory group-writeable by Postfix and all of
its maps group-readable.  The following are all relevant postfix
configuration variables that mention either mailman or Sympa:

local_recipient_maps =      unix:passwd.byname
                            $alias_maps

alias_maps =                lmdb:/etc/postfix/aliases
                            lmdb:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
                            hash:/etc/sympa/sympa_aliases

alias_database =            lmdb:/etc/postfix/aliases
                            lmdb:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
                            hash:/etc/sympa/sympa_aliases

transport_maps =            lmdb:/etc/postfix/transport
                            hash:/etc/sympa/transport.sympa
                            hash:/etc/sympa/sympa_transport

relay_recipient_maps =      lmdb:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients

virtual_alias_maps =        hash:/etc/sympa/virtual.sympa

virtual_mailbox_domains =   hash:/etc/sympa/transport.sympa

virtual_mailbox_maps =      hash:/etc/sympa/transport.sympa
                            hash:/etc/sympa/sympa_transport
                            hash:/etc/sympa/virtual.sympa

Here's the contents of /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases:

#--- [hidden email]: list transport map created at 02
Nov 2020
[hidden email] sympa:[hidden email]
[hidden email]
sympa:[hidden email]
[hidden email]
sympa:[hidden email]
[hidden email]
sympa:[hidden email]
[hidden email]
sympa:[hidden email]
[hidden email]
sympabounce:[hidden email]

Here's the sympa: service definitions from master.cf:

sympa   unix    -       n       n       -       -       pipe
   flags=hqRu null_sender= user=sympa argv=/usr/libexec/sympa/queue
${nexthop}
sympabounce unix -      n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=hqRu null_sender= user=sympa argv=/usr/libexec/sympa/bouncequeue
${nexthop}

But when I try to sent a terst message to my test list, Postfix reports:

<[hidden email]>: unknown user: "caerllewys-test"

And when I run newaliases:

minbar:root:/etc/sympa:55 # newaliases
postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 2: name must be local
postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 3: name must be local
postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 4: name must be local
postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 5: name must be local
postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 6: name must be local
postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 7: name must be local

Clearly I have something misconfigured, but it is not obvious to me
what.  Can anyone point out my error?

sympa_transport, transport.sympa, and virtual.sympa are empty.  Could
this be the cause of my problem?

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

=?UTF-7?Q?Re=3A_Configuration_problem_+IBQ-_Postfix_+-_Sympa?=

Wietse Venema
Phil Stracchino:
> I'm running Postfix 3.5.6, and in the process of replacing GNU Mailman
> 2.1.33 (which is EOL) with Sympa 6.2.56.  I have everything working,
> finally, EXCEPT that Postfix cannot deliver to Postfix lists.

mailman 3 is available for multiple distributions. Have you considered
that option? It should be a less painful transition than changing
to a different list manager architecure.

[if setting up a list manager from scratch, I would recommend giving
it its own domain, for example, lists.example.com, to avoid the
hassle of mixing different mail streams in local_recipient_maps and
alias_maps configuration.]

Re: Configuration problem — Postfix + Sympa

Phil Stracchino
On 11/2/20 12:41 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Phil Stracchino:
>> I'm running Postfix 3.5.6, and in the process of replacing GNU Mailman
>> 2.1.33 (which is EOL) with Sympa 6.2.56.  I have everything working,
>> finally, EXCEPT that Postfix cannot deliver to Postfix lists.

...er, and of course, I meant Postfix is failing to deliver to *Sympa*
lists.  (It delivers to Mailman lists just fine and I'm not
understanding why Sympa lists, integrated the same way, should be
different.)

> mailman 3 is available for multiple distributions. Have you considered
> that option? It should be a less painful transition than changing
> to a different list manager architecure.

Actually, one of my motivations here was to NOT have to deal with
Mailman 3.  Especially since the mailman3 packages on Gentoo *still*
have not been unmasked as ready-for-use.  I've been monitoring the
Mailman 3 mailing lists, and the more I learn about mailman 3, the less
I want to use it.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

On 11/2/20 1:01 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 11/2/20 12:41 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>> Phil Stracchino:
>> mailman 3 is available for multiple distributions. Have you considered
>> that option? It should be a less painful transition than changing
>> to a different list manager architecure.
>
> Actually, one of my motivations here was to NOT have to deal with
> Mailman 3.  Especially since the mailman3 packages on Gentoo *still*
> have not been unmasked as ready-for-use.  I've been monitoring the
> Mailman 3 mailing lists, and the more I learn about mailman 3, the less
> I want to use it.

Also, this is the last remaining part of the migration, and it is
clearly something that I do not yet understand about Postfix
configuration, and I want to understand it.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

Re: Configuration problem — Postfix + Sympa

Benny Pedersen-2
Phil Stracchino skrev den 2020-11-02 17:51:

> minbar:root:/etc/sympa:55 # newaliases
> postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 2: name must be
> local

this file is not newalias compatible, its not just a hash newaliases
uses

# hash syntax
foo bar

# newaliases syntax
foo: bar

is sympa needing local alias ?

fix is possible just define sympa_aliases as virtual_alias

Phil Stracchino skrev den 2020-11-02 19:01:

> Mailman 3 mailing lists, and the more I learn about mailman 3, the less
> I want to use it.

/more rants

mailman breaks dkim

\less rants

On 11/2/20 3:07 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> Phil Stracchino skrev den 2020-11-02 19:01:
>
>> Mailman 3 mailing lists, and the more I learn about mailman 3, the less
>> I want to use it.
>
> /more rants
>
> mailman breaks dkim
>
> \less rants

Sympa *explicitly supports* DKIM and ARC.  Another reason for switching.  :)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

On 11/2/20 3:04 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> Phil Stracchino skrev den 2020-11-02 17:51:
>
>> minbar:root:/etc/sympa:55 # newaliases
>> postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 2: name must be
>> local
>
> this file is not newalias compatible, its not just a hash newaliases
> uses
>
> # hash syntax
> foo bar

Yeah, I was wondering about that when I was looking at it just now.

Let's look at the first alias for example:

[hidden email] sympa:[hidden email]

I tried simply removing the domain on the LHS:

caerllewys-test sympa:[hidden email]

But that on its own didn't work, so I revised it again:

caerllewys-test:  sympa:[hidden email]

But that doesn't work either:

<"sympa:caerllewys-test"@caerllewys.net> (expanded from
    <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "sympa:caerllewys-test"

What's clearly SUPPOSED to be happening here is that mail to
[hidden email] (and all other Sympa list addresses) is
supposed to be delivered via the sympa: transport.  But this evidently
isn't the correct way to do it, and I'm not certain whether I should be
doing it in the transport or virtual table, or exactly how.  I have
never used the virtual table and don't honestly know what I'm doing with it.

> is sympa needing local alias ?

Well, this part of the error message is part of what I don't understand.
 I don't get what Postfix thinks is not local about any part of this.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

Re: Configuration problem — Postfix + Sympa

Bob Proulx
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> /more rants
>
> mailman breaks dkim

Anything that supports adding subject tags or adding body footers
breaks DKIM and at the same time if one doesn't do those things then
Mailman works fine with DKIM.  Doctor, it hurts when I do this.  Well
then don't do that.

However do not interpret this as me having any love for Mailman in any
way.  I don't.  It annoys me.  But for this in particular it's not one
of the problems I don't like about Mailman.

Bob

=?UTF-7?Q?Re=3A_Configuration_problem_+IBQ-_Postfix_+-_Sympa?=

Phil Stracchino:

> On 11/2/20 3:04 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> > Phil Stracchino skrev den 2020-11-02 17:51:
> >
> >> minbar:root:/etc/sympa:55 # newaliases
> >> postalias: warning: /etc/sympa/sympa_aliases, line 2: name must be
> >> local
> >
> > this file is not newalias compatible, its not just a hash newaliases
> > uses
> >
> > # hash syntax
> > foo bar
>
> Yeah, I was wondering about that when I was looking at it just now.
>
> Let's look at the first alias for example:
>
> [hidden email] sympa:[hidden email]
>
> I tried simply removing the domain on the LHS:
>
> caerllewys-test sympa:[hidden email]
>
> But that on its own didn't work, so I revised it again:
>
> caerllewys-test:  sympa:[hidden email]
>
> But that doesn't work either:
>
> <"sympa:caerllewys-test"@caerllewys.net> (expanded from
>     <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "sympa:caerllewys-test"

As documented alias files don't use transport names. Please reconsider
your decision to attempt to integrate Sympa from scratch.

        Wietse

On 11/2/20 3:52 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Phil Stracchino:
>> <"sympa:caerllewys-test"@caerllewys.net> (expanded from
>>     <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "sympa:caerllewys-test"
>
> As documented alias files don't use transport names. Please reconsider
> your decision to attempt to integrate Sympa from scratch.

I think that comes down to "The Sympa alias integration instructions for
Postfix are wrong."  I'm just not sure what's the correct way to handle
this.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

=?UTF-7?Q?Re=3A_Configuration_problem_+IBQ-_Postfix_+-_Sympa?=

Wietse Venema
Phil Stracchino:

> On 11/2/20 3:52 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Phil Stracchino:
> >> <"sympa:caerllewys-test"@caerllewys.net> (expanded from
> >>     <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "sympa:caerllewys-test"
> >
> > As documented alias files don't use transport names. Please reconsider
> > your decision to attempt to integrate Sympa from scratch.
>

> I think that comes down to "The Sympa alias integration instructions for
> Postfix are wrong."  I'm just not sure what's the correct way to handle
> this.

Indeed, there are websites that says so. They have various soulutions,
none if which I have  had time to verify.

Re: Configuration problem — Postfix + Sympa SOLVED

Phil Stracchino
On 11/2/20 7:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Phil Stracchino:
>>
>> I think that comes down to "The Sympa alias integration instructions for
>> Postfix are wrong."  I'm just not sure what's the correct way to handle
>> this.
>
> Indeed, there are websites that says so. They have various soulutions,
> none if which I have  had time to verify.

It turns out the problem and the fault was mine.  I had somehow managed,
WITHOUT REALIZING IT, to follow PART of the single-domain Sympa+Postfix
configuration instructions, and PART of the multiple-domain instructions
using virtual domains, ending up with a garbled mixture of both, which —
unsurprisingly — didn't work.  And nor SHOULD it have.

Once I realized *that*, it took me about ten minutes of work to rip out
the incorrect integration configuration, start over, and get everything
working.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

Re: Configuration problem — Postfix + Sympa

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
>> Phil Stracchino skrev den 2020-11-02 19:01:
>>> Mailman 3 mailing lists, and the more I learn about mailman 3, the less
>>> I want to use it.

>On 11/2/20 3:07 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> /more rants
>>
>> mailman breaks dkim
>>
>> \less rants

incorrect.
There are features that break DKIM, but because of how is DKIM designed.
that's not fault of mailman.

On 02.11.20 15:24, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>Sympa *explicitly supports* DKIM and ARC.  Another reason for switching.  :)

mailman supports DKIM. it's not mailman who breaks it.

He who laughs last thinks slowest.