Configuring MSA in postfix

Alamgir Shamim
Hello,

Can you please tell me how to configure MSA with postfix. I want to
create all local user in MSA. local user's mail will be delivered in
MSA and out going mail will be forwarded to another mail gateway. That
mail gateway will have two instances. On instance will accept only
mail from MSA and will forward all outgoing mail. Another instance
will receive all incoming mail destined to our corporate domain. Can
you please guide me how to do this.

Regards.

Tuhin.
BD.
Dhaka.

Re: Configuring MSA in postfix

Wietse Venema
Alamgir Shamim:
> Hello,
>
> Can you please tell me how to configure MSA with postfix. I want to
> create all local user in MSA. local user's mail will be delivered in
> MSA and out going mail will be forwarded to another mail gateway. That
> mail gateway will have two instances. On instance will accept only
> mail from MSA and will forward all outgoing mail. Another instance
> will receive all incoming mail destined to our corporate domain. Can
> you please guide me how to do this.

MSA = mail submission agent, i.e. the program that injects an email
message into the email infrastructure. In today's world that is
usually an end-user machine (or mobile device) that runs a mail
client program.

To receive mail from an MSA, Postfix can be configured to provide
the submission (and legacy smtps) service; see the master.cf file
for examples that are usually commented out. If the host must provide
no MX service, you comment out the "smtp" service in master.cf.

To receive mail from an MTA (Postfix as an MX host), Postfix is
configured by default to provide the smtp service; see master.cf.
In this case you would leave the submission and legacy smtps
services commened out.

Re: Configuring MSA in postfix

btb-2

> On Nov 14, 2014, at 14.47, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alamgir Shamim:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can you please tell me how to configure MSA with postfix. I want to
>> create all local user in MSA. local user's mail will be delivered in
>> MSA and out going mail will be forwarded to another mail gateway. That
>> mail gateway will have two instances. On instance will accept only
>> mail from MSA and will forward all outgoing mail. Another instance
>> will receive all incoming mail destined to our corporate domain. Can
>> you please guide me how to do this.
>
> MSA = mail submission agent, i.e. the program that injects an email
> message into the email infrastructure. In today's world that is
> usually an end-user machine (or mobile device) that runs a mail
> client program.

i'd always understood an msa to be a mail server listening on e.g. port 587, accepting connections from end user software [mua]:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_submission_agent

ben

Re: Configuring MSA in postfix

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:

> > On Nov 14, 2014, at 14.47, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Alamgir Shamim:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Can you please tell me how to configure MSA with postfix. I want to
> >> create all local user in MSA. local user's mail will be delivered in
> >> MSA and out going mail will be forwarded to another mail gateway. That
> >> mail gateway will have two instances. On instance will accept only
> >> mail from MSA and will forward all outgoing mail. Another instance
> >> will receive all incoming mail destined to our corporate domain. Can
> >> you please guide me how to do this.
> >
> > MSA = mail submission agent, i.e. the program that injects an email
> > message into the email infrastructure. In today's world that is
> > usually an end-user machine (or mobile device) that runs a mail
> > client program.
>
> i'd always understood an msa to be a mail server listening on e.g. port 587, accepting connections from end user software [mua]:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_submission_agent

I stand corrected. The MUA injects the mesage into the infrastructure
(mail user agent).

        Wietse