Connect hostname for 25 vs 465

Mark Constable
If I connect to port 25 the connect host in the logs is my FQDN...

telnet 12.34.56.78 25
ehlo mail.my.fqdn
connect from mail.my.fqdn[78.56.34.12]

If I try the same via port 465 then I always get "unknown"...

openssl s_client -crlf -quiet -connect 12.34.56.78:465
ehlo mail.my.fqdn
connect from unknown[78.56.34.12]

Is there some obvious setting I am missing?

I'll post my main.cf and master.cf if needed but I suspect there might
be a "simple" explanation.

Re: Connect hostname for 25 vs 465

Wietse Venema
Mark Constable:

> If I connect to port 25 the connect host in the logs is my FQDN...
>
> telnet 12.34.56.78 25
> ehlo mail.my.fqdn
> connect from mail.my.fqdn[78.56.34.12]
>
> If I try the same via port 465 then I always get "unknown"...
>
> openssl s_client -crlf -quiet -connect 12.34.56.78:465
> ehlo mail.my.fqdn
> connect from unknown[78.56.34.12]
>
> Is there some obvious setting I am missing?

What is the output from:

# postconf -F '*/inet/chroot'

If they are different, then you have a broken chroot setup.

On 22/2/21 00:26, Wietse Venema wrote:
>> If I connect to port 25 the connect host in the logs is my FQDN...
>> If I try the same via port 465 then I always get "unknown"...
>
> What is the output from:
>
> # postconf -F '*/inet/chroot'
>
> If they are different, then you have a broken chroot setup.

~ postconf -F '*/inet/chroot'
192.168.xx.xxx:25/inet/chroot = n
192.168.xx.xxx:465/inet/chroot = y

They were indeed different. I changed 465 to n on both servers and that
solved my problem. Thank you Wietse. I would never have found that
chroot issue without your help.