Connection refused and duplicate aliases warning

Connection refused and duplicate aliases warning

Rupert Reid
Hello All,
I have two questions as follows:

1. I have set up the postfix server as follows:
postconf -n
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,    mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain,       mail.isinglive.co.uk, localhost.isinglive, isinglive, www.isinglive, ftp.isinglive
mydomain_fallback = localhost
myhostname = mail.cantoenvivo.es
mynetworks_style = host
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /private/var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

No problem with incoming or outgoing email so far for cantoenvivo.  However, I can send email from isinglive.co.uk but cannot receive incoming email.

mail.log shows:-
Aug 19 11:29:43 rosario postfix/qmgr[19865]: 0922425A665: from=<[hidden email]>, size=588, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Aug 19 11:29:43 rosario postfix/smtp[20824]: 0922425A665: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=none, delay=170615, status=deferred (connect to isinglive.co.uk[80.189.101.120]: Connection refused)

Port 25 is open and is working for cantoenvivo.

Question 1?
Does mail.log mean that my isp is not allowing isinglive  traffic through my static ip?  If so, where can I get a static ip independent of my isp?

Question 2?
I added some aliases to .../posttix/alias file for isinglive, some of which are the same for cantoenvivo e.g. "admin: cantoenvivo" and "admin: isinglive".  When it acme to updating aliases.db with the post "aliases" command.  I recieved the following error warning:

postalias: warning: /etc/postfix/aliases.db: duplicate entry: "admin"

Can I not use the same alias mapped to different domains?  Is a valid alis for one domain also valid for the other(s)?  How can i configure the same alias for separate domains.

Thank you in advance for your help  - I hope I have been clear.

Best regards
Rupert

Re: Connection refused and duplicate aliases warning

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Rupert Reid wrote:

> Hello All,
> I have two questions as follows:
>
> 1. I have set up the postfix server as follows:
> postconf -n
> command_directory = /usr/sbin
> config_directory = /etc/postfix
> daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
> debug_peer_level = 2
> inet_interfaces = all
> mail_owner = postfix
> mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
> manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,
>  mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain,
> mail.isinglive.co.uk, localhost.isinglive, isinglive, www.isinglive
> <http://www.isinglive>, ftp.isinglive
> mydomain_fallback = localhost
> myhostname = mail.cantoenvivo.es
> mynetworks_style = host
> myorigin = $mydomain
> newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
> queue_directory = /private/var/spool/postfix
> readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
> sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> setgid_group = postdrop
>
> No problem with incoming or outgoing email so far for cantoenvivo.
>  However, I can send email from isinglive.co.uk but cannot receive
> incoming email.
>
> mail.log shows:-
> Aug 19 11:29:43 rosario postfix/qmgr[19865]: 0922425A665:
> from=<[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> size=588, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
> Aug 19 11:29:43 rosario postfix/smtp[20824]: 0922425A665:
> to=<[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>,
> relay=none, delay=170615, status=deferred (connect to
> isinglive.co.uk[80.189.101.120]: Connection refused)
>
> Port 25 is open and is working for cantoenvivo.
>
> Question 1?
> Does mail.log mean that my isp is not allowing isinglive  traffic
> through my static ip?  If so, where can I get a static ip independent
> of my isp?

No, this is typically a NAT issue why you cannot connect, but that's not
the real issue here.
An easy way to solve this? Put 'isinglive.co.uk' into mydestination.
Then, Postfix will not try to route this via smtp.
The rest of the internet is not affected.

> Question 2?
> I added some aliases to .../posttix/alias file for isinglive, some of
> which are the same for cantoenvivo e.g. "admin: cantoenvivo" and
> "admin: isinglive".  When it acme to updating aliases.db with the post
> "aliases" command.  I recieved the following error warning:
>
> postalias: warning: /etc/postfix/aliases.db: duplicate entry: "admin"
>
> Can I not use the same alias mapped to different domains?  Is a valid
> alis for one domain also valid for the other(s)?  How can i configure
> the same alias for separate domains.

In a hash file, you cannot list a LHS value more than once.
You CAN list multiple values, separated by commas, on the RHS of that entry.

Note: alias_maps typically is *not* for DOMAINS but for user accounts or
remote email addresses.

If you want to separate two domains, see
http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_alias

Brian

Rupert Reid wrote:

> Hello All,
> I have two questions as follows:
>
> 1.    I have set up the postfix server as follows:
>     postconf -n
>     command_directory = /usr/sbin
>     config_directory = /etc/postfix
>     daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
>     debug_peer_level = 2
>     inet_interfaces = all
>     mail_owner = postfix
>     mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
>     manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
>     mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,
> mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain,
> mail.isinglive.co.uk, localhost.isinglive, isinglive, www.isinglive,
> ftp.isinglive
>     mydomain_fallback = localhost
>     myhostname = mail.cantoenvivo.es
>     mynetworks_style = host
>     myorigin = $mydomain
>     newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
>     queue_directory = /private/var/spool/postfix
>     readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
>     sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples
>     sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>     setgid_group = postdrop
>     unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
>
> No problem with incoming or outgoing email so far for cantoenvivo.
> However, I can send email from isinglive.co.uk but cannot receive
> incoming email.
>
> mail.log shows:-
>     Aug 19 11:29:43 rosario postfix/qmgr[19865]: 0922425A665:
> from=<[hidden email]>, size=588, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>     Aug 19 11:29:43 rosario postfix/smtp[20824]: 0922425A665:
> to=<[hidden email]>, relay=none, delay=170615,
> status=deferred (connect to isinglive.co.uk[80.189.101.120]: Connection
> refused)
>
> Port 25 is open and is working for cantoenvivo.
>
> Question 1?
> Does mail.log mean that my isp is not allowing isinglive  traffic
> through my static ip?

the log says your postfix cannot connect to 80.189.101.120 port 25. it
doesn't say why. it may be your ISP. it may be a firewall. it may be a
blacklisting, ... etc.

> If so, where can I get a static ip independent of my isp?

what do you mean by "get"? you can "get" whatever IP you want among the
2^32 possible values. it just takes something like
# ifconfig ex0 192.0.2.3

Unfortunately, you can only use IPs that are routed back to you, and for
that you (probably) need a network provider (or you can hijack an unused
network, or you can attack routers, ...). so if your ISP blocks your
traffic, you'll need to find another ISP or route your smtp traffic
through a relay (that of your ISP or an external one).

> Question 2?
> I added some aliases to .../posttix/alias file for isinglive, some of
> which are the same for cantoenvivo e.g. "admin: cantoenvivo" and "admin:
> isinglive".  When it acme to updating aliases.db with the post "aliases"
> command.  I recieved the following error warning:
>
>     postalias: warning: /etc/postfix/aliases.db: duplicate entry: "admin"
>
> Can I not use the same alias mapped to different domains?

all domains in mydestination are equivalent. if you want different
domains, then use virtual_alias_maps.

On 19 Aug 2008, at 14:37, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:

> [...]
> The rest of the internet is not affected.
>>
>> Question 2?
>> I added some aliases to .../posttix/alias file for isinglive, some
>> of which are the same for cantoenvivo e.g. "admin: cantoenvivo"
>> and "admin: isinglive".  When it acme to updating aliases.db with
>> the post "aliases" command.  I recieved the following error warning:
>>
>> postalias: warning: /etc/postfix/aliases.db: duplicate entry: "admin"
>>
>> Can I not use the same alias mapped to different domains?  Is a
>> valid alis for one domain also valid for the other(s)?  How can i
>> configure the same alias for separate domains.
>
> In a hash file, you cannot list a LHS value more than once.
> You CAN list multiple values, separated by commas, on the RHS of
> that entry.
>
> Note: alias_maps typically is *not* for DOMAINS but for user

Thanks to Brian and mouss,

Your suggestions were very helpful but not conclusive.  I put
isinglive.co.uk in in my destinationsand incoming email worked but
only for [hidden email].  I listed isinglive as suggested
on the RHS of the aliases file following the main domain, separated
by a comma e.g. "admin: maindomainm, additionaldomain".  This did not
work.  I decided to try your suggestion at virtual domains but i need
some clarification to reconsile what I want to do with what postfix
is able to do.  i will make a separate post in this regard.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Best regards Rupert