DKIM-Signature not being added when sending from remote Outlook client

DKIM-Signature not being added when sending from remote Outlook client

Bailo, John

I set up postfix with the dkim-milter.

It works great when I am logged into the linux server and send mail with the mail command.

However, if I try to connect to postfix from a remote computer, and send mail using a client such as outlook, the DKIM-Signature is not being added.

Mail can be sent to and from Outlook Express just fine, but the

John Bailo
Web Developer
______________________________________

Bowne & Co, Inc.
20017 72nd Ave S
Kent, WA 98032
Office: 253/437-7085
Cell: 253/217-2776

Fax: 253/872-5602

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.

Re: DKIM-Signature not being added when sending from remote Outlook client

Wietse Venema
Bailo, John:
> I set up postfix with the dkim-milter.
>
> It works great when I am logged into the linux server and send mail with
> the mail command.
>
> However, if I try to connect to postfix from a remote computer, and send
> mail using a client such as outlook, the DKIM-Signature is not being
> added.

You probably should use the submission mail service, like this:

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
    submission      inet    n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
        -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
        -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
        -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING

And configure dkim-filter to run as

    /some/where/dkim-filter -m ORIGINATING ...

RE: DKIM-Signature not being added when sending from remote Outlook client

Bailo, John
Do you think this is a better solution than trying to set the "Internal
Hosts" parameter?

> It works great when I am logged into the linux server and send mail
with
> the mail command.
>
> However, if I try to connect to postfix from a remote computer, and
send
> mail using a client such as outlook, the DKIM-Signature is not being
> added.

You probably should use the submission mail service, like this:

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
    submission      inet    n       -       -       -       -
smtpd
        -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
        -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
        -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING

And configure dkim-filter to run as

    /some/where/dkim-filter -m ORIGINATING ...

        Wietse
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.

Re: DKIM-Signature not being added when sending from remote Outlook client

Wietse Venema
Bailo, John:
> I set up postfix with the dkim-milter.
>
> It works great when I am logged into the linux server and send
> mail with the mail command.
>
> However, if I try to connect to postfix from a remote computer,
> and send mail using a client such as outlook, the DKIM-Signature
> is not being added.

Wietse:

> You probably should use the submission mail service, like this:
>
> /etc/postfix/master.cf:
>     submission      inet    n       -       -       -       -
> smtpd
> -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
> -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
> -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
> -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING
>
> And configure dkim-filter to run as
>
>     /some/where/dkim-filter -m ORIGINATING ...

Bailo, John:
> Do you think this is a better solution than trying to set the "Internal
> Hosts" parameter?

The above works for outlook clients on dynamic and static IP addresses.

You wrote:

    connect to postfix from a *remote* computer, and send mail
    using a client such as outlook

You did not write that the remote outlook client has a static IP address.

RE: DKIM-Signature not being added when sending from remote Outlook client

Bailo, John
Your solution sounds superior.

> And configure dkim-filter to run as
>
>     /some/where/dkim-filter -m ORIGINATING ...

Can you clarify this? I'm new to both Postfix and dkim-filter.

> It works great when I am logged into the linux server and send
> mail with the mail command.
>
> However, if I try to connect to postfix from a remote computer,
> and send mail using a client such as outlook, the DKIM-Signature
> is not being added.

Wietse: