DNS lookups in check_policy_service configuretion line.

DNS lookups in check_policy_service configuretion line.

Christian Ejlertsen
Postfix version 2.10.1

I'm adding a check_policy_service for some quota checking, with the
following arguments

check_policy_service inet:imap01.example.com:12340

If i configure the line like this in main.cf it fails with the
following message
fatal: host/service imap01.litmail.dk/12340 not found: Device or
resource busy

If i on the other hand configure it with an ip address it work
perfectly.

check_policy_service inet:192.168.100.12:12340

The dns name resolves in the OS.

Is it now allowed to use fqdn's in the check_policy_service statement
or is there a setting i'm failing to find that will allow this.

Thank you in advance for any help and pointers

-- Christian

Re: DNS lookups in check_policy_service configuretion line.

Wietse Venema
Christian Ejlertsen:

> Postfix version 2.10.1
>
> I'm adding a check_policy_service for some quota checking, with the
> following arguments
>
> check_policy_service inet:imap01.example.com:12340
>
> If i configure the line like this in main.cf it fails with the
> following message
> fatal: host/service imap01.litmail.dk/12340 not found: Device or
> resource busy
>
> If i on the other hand configure it with an ip address it work
> perfectly.
>
> check_policy_service inet:192.168.100.12:12340
>
> The dns name resolves in the OS.
>
> Is it now allowed to use fqdn's in the check_policy_service statement
> or is there a setting i'm failing to find that will allow this.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help and pointers

Hostnames are allowed.

I suggest trying http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#no_chroot,
or http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#auto_trace to find out
which system call is failing with "Device or resource busy".

On Wed, 2018-09-26 at 13:46 -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Christian Ejlertsen:
> > Postfix version 2.10.1
> >
> > I'm adding a check_policy_service for some quota checking, with the
> > following arguments
> >
> > check_policy_service inet:imap01.example.com:12340
> >
> > If i configure the line like this in main.cf it fails with the
> > following message
> > fatal: host/service imap01.litmail.dk/12340 not found: Device or
> > resource busy
> >
> > If i on the other hand configure it with an ip address it work
> > perfectly.
> >
> > check_policy_service inet:192.168.100.12:12340
> >
> > The dns name resolves in the OS.
> >
> > Is it now allowed to use fqdn's in the check_policy_service
> > statement
> > or is there a setting i'm failing to find that will allow this.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any help and pointers
>
> Hostnames are allowed.
>
> I suggest trying http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#no_chroot,
> or http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#auto_trace to find out
> which system call is failing with "Device or resource busy".
>
> Wietse

It turned out that submission was running chrooted where everything
else wasn't thank you for the pointer :)

- Christian