DSN behavior unclear - clarification needed

DSN behavior unclear - clarification needed

Stefan Bauer-2
Hi,

i would like that postfix always sends DSN, when requested by client and mail got forwarded to next-hop / final destination.

Thats works on some recipients, but not on all. postfix always sends DSN on specific destinations (e.g. web.de)

<[hidden email]>: delivery via mx-ha02.web.de[212.227.17.8]:25: 250 Requested
    mail action okay, completed: id=1N0YD0-1hUYlq3qCq-00wNxk

But when mail is send to some other foreign postfix servers, the foreign mailserver sends DSN.

How can we specifiy, that only "our" postfix server sends DSN. Reason is, we have custom bounce messages and would
like to only present our users our custom DSN text.

Thank you.

Stefan

Re: DSN behavior unclear - clarification needed

Wietse Venema
Stefan Bauer:
> Hi,
>
> i would like that postfix always sends DSN, when requested by client and
> mail got forwarded to next-hop / final destination.

Postfix implements a published RFC, and according to that RFC,
Postfix will send a 'relayed' DSN if:

1 - The sender requested DSN notification.

And:

2 - The next-hop MTA does not announce DSN support, or you turn off
    DSN support (smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords = dsn, silent-discard).

Additionally, you can tweak the SMTP conversation with
smtpd_command_filter, smtp_reply_filter, and smtp_delivery_status_filter.
There are examples in the documentation of those parameters.

Re: DSN behavior unclear - clarification needed

Stefan Bauer-2
Awesome. Thank you. That did the trick.

Am Di., 15. Jan. 2019 um 13:22 Uhr schrieb Wietse Venema <[hidden email]>:
Stefan Bauer:
> Hi,
>
> i would like that postfix always sends DSN, when requested by client and
> mail got forwarded to next-hop / final destination.

Postfix implements a published RFC, and according to that RFC,
Postfix will send a 'relayed' DSN if:

1 - The sender requested DSN notification.

And:

2 - The next-hop MTA does not announce DSN support, or you turn off
    DSN support (smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords = dsn, silent-discard).

Additionally, you can tweak the SMTP conversation with
smtpd_command_filter, smtp_reply_filter, and smtp_delivery_status_filter.
There are examples in the documentation of those parameters.

        Wietse