Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

James Moe
Hello,
  postfix 3.3.1
  opensuse 15.0 (linux 4.12.14-lp150.12.48-default x86_64)

  I had set the debug level to 3 to trace a problem I was having with
connecting to a MTA. After resolving the issue I set the debug level to
2, then later to 1.
  postfix still logs its transaction at level 3, including the password,
to the system journal.

  How do I get postfix to stop doing that?

debug_peer_level = 1

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com
520.743.3936
Think.


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

Viktor Dukhovni


> On Apr 8, 2019, at 1:39 PM, James Moe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I had set the debug level to 3 to trace a problem I was having with
> connecting to a MTA. After resolving the issue I set the debug level to
> 2, then later to 1.
>  postfix still logs its transaction at level 3, including the password,
> to the system journal.
>
>  How do I get postfix to stop doing that?
>
> debug_peer_level = 1

Set "debug_peer_list" empty.  Also remove any "-v" flags in master.cf,
and don't start postfix with "postfix -v start" (a restart may be
required if that was the case).

--
        Viktor.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

Noel Jones-2
In reply to this post by James Moe
On 4/8/2019 12:39 PM, James Moe wrote:

> Hello,
>    postfix 3.3.1
>    opensuse 15.0 (linux 4.12.14-lp150.12.48-default x86_64)
>
>    I had set the debug level to 3 to trace a problem I was having with
> connecting to a MTA. After resolving the issue I set the debug level to
> 2, then later to 1.
>    postfix still logs its transaction at level 3, including the password,
> to the system journal.
>
>    How do I get postfix to stop doing that?
>
> debug_peer_level = 1
>


Did you add any -v flags in master.cf?
Did you reload postfix after changing settings?


   -- Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

James Moe
On 08/04/2019 11.13 AM, Noel Jones wrote:

> Did you add any -v flags in master.cf?
>
  No.

> Did you reload postfix after changing settings?
>
  Yes.

Active: active (running) since Sun 2019-04-07 10:04:13 MST; 1 day 1h ago
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31024 Apr  7 10:02 /etc/postfix/main.cf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7597 Mar 26 13:51 /etc/postfix/master.cf

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com
520.743.3936
Think.


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

James Moe
In reply to this post by Viktor Dukhovni
On 08/04/2019 10.55 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> Set "debug_peer_list" empty.  Also remove any "-v" flags in master.cf,
> and don't start postfix with "postfix -v start" (a restart may be
> required if that was the case).
>
  I did all that. The output is still highly verbose.
  After commenting "debug_peer_level" postconf reports the debug level as 2.

$ postconf debug_peer_level
debug_peer_level = 2


$ grep -i debug_ /etc/postfix/main.cf
# The debug_peer_level parameter specifies the increment in verbose
# matches a pattern in the debug_peer_list parameter.
# debug_peer_level =
# The debug_peer_list parameter specifies an optional list of domain
# debug_peer_level parameter.
#debug_peer_list = 127.0.0.1
debug_peer_list = mail.sma.com
#debug_peer_list = example.com
#debug_peer_level = 3


--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com
520.743.3936
Think.


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

Wietse Venema
James Moe:
Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On 08/04/2019 10.55 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>
> > Set "debug_peer_list" empty.  Also remove any "-v" flags in master.cf,

That's DEBUG-PEER-LIST, not DEBUG-PEER-LEVEL.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

James Moe
On 09/04/2019 10.27 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> That's DEBUG-PEER-LIST, not DEBUG-PEER-LEVEL.
>
  Ah. My confusion.
  Had I set "debug_peer_level" to 0 (zero), would that have prevented
the verbose output as well?

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com
520.743.3936
Think.


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

Viktor Dukhovni


> On Apr 9, 2019, at 2:08 PM, James Moe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Had I set "debug_peer_level" to 0 (zero), would that have prevented
> the verbose output as well?

No.  A value that is zero or less raises a fatal error.  The correct
way to disable peer-specific debug logging is to clear the debug
peer list.

--
        Viktor.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debug verbosity not becoming laconic

James Moe
In reply to this post by Wietse Venema
On 09/04/2019 10.27 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> That's DEBUG-PEER-LIST, not DEBUG-PEER-LEVEL.
>
  Yes, commenting the correct option works.
  Thank you.

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com
520.743.3936
Think.


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment