Differentiate emails depending on originating server

Differentiate emails depending on originating server

Ashay Chitnis
Hi All,

I wanted to differentiate the incoming emails depending on whether they are generated by same server postfix (e.g. NDR) or being delivered to it by some smtp client. Is there a easy way to relay all mails generated through postfix to a different custom transport rule while saving the general emails coming though other smtp clients which will use the general rules on postfix.

We use postfix 2.9 for our systems.

Regards,
Ashay V. Chitnis.

Re: Differentiate emails depending on originating server

Jeroen Geilman
On 06/17/2013 11:56 AM, Ashay Chitnis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to differentiate the incoming emails depending on whether
> they are generated by same server postfix

Mail can be submitted locally in several ways; smtp is usually not the
most prevalent way.
sendmail(1) submission is not subject to any of the smtpd_*_restrictions
tests, so this is hard to implement there.

You could set up a second postfix instance and relay all
sendmail-submitted email through that, but this does not make for a
particularly manageable system as there will be a lot of duplication of
effort.

> (e.g. NDR)

Why do you want bounces to be handled separately ?
I suspect a scheme to not send bounces.
This is a Bad Idea; you should always send (valid) bounces.

If you wish to not send bounces for mail you accepted, don't accept the
mail to begin with.
Proper configuration of smtpd_*_restrictions is key.

You may also want to consider not allowing user sendmail(1) submission
at all (it is usally required for system-generated mail); instead, use
the standard submission mechanism for all locally-submitted mail.

> or being delivered to it by some smtp client. Is there a easy way to
> relay all mails generated through postfix to a different custom
> transport rule while saving the general emails coming though other
> smtp clients which will use the general rules on postfix.

If you require valid (i.e. postfix-controlled) sender addresses on
submission, then you can use sender_dependent_default_transport_maps for
this purpose.
If you don't, there really is no sane way to enforce this.

> We use postfix 2.9 for our systems.

That has all of the above functionality.

--
J.