Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Dedeco Balaco Baco
Hello,

in the last months, I have been searching for an email system with some features to make it better for kids, even for younger ages, and also their parents. We need a few features to guarantee some security to free messaging among known friends, but some supervision for unknown addresses.

Last January, I started a thread in Linux Questions about this. No clear solution was given until now. Now I am thinking about making something, since there seems to be no ready to use FOSS system.  Maybe I can somehow setup Postfix to do this? Maybe I can use Postfix with some simple extra programs? You tell me, please! I never set up Postfix. Articles, books or any other material to read, if they can be useful, are very welcome. I already have the official Postfix book. Setting up this system with no root access in a Debian server (many more people use it) is welcome, although a few root actions just to set something up may not be a problem.

My first post in the thread I mentioned is:

==
I am trying to find an email system (that preferably work with any email account) for kids.

 The features I am looking for are (possibly):

 - messages can be sent to any email account

 - answers must only be read after the contact is added and the supervisor confirmed its safety

 - or each message from strange accounts can be marked as safe without adding the sender to the contact; process repeated for each message

 - messages from contacts are received faster, do not need to be previously read by supervisor account

 - a copy of all messages can be read by the supervisor account at anytime, even after they are erased within the safe account

 I found a few paid services with similar features (tocomail, zilladog, kidsafemail, zoobuh, emailforkids.org). But none have interfaces in other languages but English.

 Such a system (or program) is not that hard to develop. Do you know any FOSS (free and open-source software) such system? Or some practical alternative method to achieve this safety?
==

A few comments and thoughts were made in that thread. You may want to read that, but I won't copy everything here, it may not be necessary or may be offtopic to this list.

The thread "Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?" in Linux Questions is:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/do-you-know-an-foss-email-system-for-kids-4175597944/

I am waiting for your comments. Thank you (:

Re: Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Zhang Huangbin-2

On Apr 15, 2017, at 10:31 PM, Dedeco Balaco Baco <[hidden email]> wrote:

- messages can be sent to any email account

This is not a problem.

- answers must only be read after the contact is added and the supervisor confirmed its safety

Sounds like quarantining and audit.

Amavisd or similar softwares supports quarantining spam/virus/bad-header/banned and also clean messages to SQL database (or file system), you need a web UI to view them and release/delete them.
https://amavis.org

- or each message from strange accounts can be marked as safe without adding the sender to the contact; process repeated for each message

Not sure what this means, but sounds like some kind of whitelisting and blacklisting. Is it?

- messages from contacts are received faster, do not need to be previously read by supervisor account

Like whitelisting. Bypass the quarantine for whitelisted senders.

- a copy of all messages can be read by the supervisor account at anytime, even after they are erased within the safe account

Use BCC for simple archiving or monitoring, or archive software like Piler: http://www.mailpiler.org

Such a system (or program) is not that hard to develop.

“not that hard”? No matter hard or easy, it takes time.

----
Zhang Huangbin, founder of iRedMail project: http://www.iredmail.org/
Time zone: GMT+8 (China/Beijing).
Available on Telegram: https://t.me/iredmail

Re: Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Kevin A. McGrail
On 4/15/2017 10:31 AM, Dedeco Balaco Baco wrote:
> in the last months, I have been searching for an email system with some features to make it better for kids, even for younger ages, and also their parents. We need a few features to guarantee some security to free messaging among known friends, but some supervision for unknown addresses.

I have a system I wrote for my kids and nephews/nieces.  It builds on
top of mimedefang with mysql backend.  I cannot share the UI for the
database manipulations but can give you the database layout and example
queries.  It used a CMS on Apache that did the ability to
whitelist/blacklist, etc.

I can package up the snippets under GPLv2 and some documentation if
that's a solution you are interested in pursuing.  If you are interested
in publishing it further, even if 3 people ever use it, I'll be more
helpful as I like to surface code I've written for public benefit.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Dedeco Balaco Baco
>> in the last months, I have been searching for an email system with
>> some features to make it better for kids, even for younger ages,
>> and also their parents. We need a few features to guarantee some
>> security to free messaging among known friends, but some
>> supervision for unknown addresses.
>
> I have a system I wrote for my kids and nephews/nieces.  It builds
> on top of mimedefang with mysql backend.  I cannot share the UI for
> the database manipulations but can give you the database layout and
> example queries. It used a CMS on Apache that did the ability to
> whitelist/blacklist, etc.
>
> I can package up the snippets under GPLv2 and some documentation if
> that's a solution you are interested in pursuing.  If you are
> interested in publishing it further, even if 3 people ever use it,
> I'll be more helpful as I like to surface code I've written for
> public benefit.

Please do it, KAM! I would like to see the details of your solution in practical ways, both for users and for its administrators. And if I make any changes to it, I will make them public somehow, of course.

A detail that does not matter much to me: do you have a reason to choose GPLv2 instead of GPLv3? I have read two section in the article about GPL in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPLv2#Version_2 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPLv3#Version_3 .

On 4/19/2017 7:43 AM, Dedeco Balaco Baco wrote:

>>> in the last months, I have been searching for an email system with
>>> some features to make it better for kids, even for younger ages,
>>> and also their parents. We need a few features to guarantee some
>>> security to free messaging among known friends, but some
>>> supervision for unknown addresses.
>> I have a system I wrote for my kids and nephews/nieces.  It builds
>> on top of mimedefang with mysql backend.  I cannot share the UI for
>> the database manipulations but can give you the database layout and
>> example queries. It used a CMS on Apache that did the ability to
>> whitelist/blacklist, etc.
>>
>> I can package up the snippets under GPLv2 and some documentation if
>> that's a solution you are interested in pursuing.  If you are
>> interested in publishing it further, even if 3 people ever use it,
>> I'll be more helpful as I like to surface code I've written for
>> public benefit.
>>
> Please do it, KAM! I would like to see the details of your solution in practical ways, both for users and for its administrators. And if I make any changes to it, I will make them public somehow, of course.
>
> A detail that does not matter much to me: do you have a reason to choose GPLv2 instead of GPLv3? I have read two section in the article about GPL in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPLv2#Version_2 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPLv3#Version_3 .
Dedeco,

I picked GPLv2 based on the licensing for MIMEDefang to keep the
original author's wishes specifically v2 or later.

The code is stable and has some nice tricks for SQL from MIMEDefang.

It's a good starting point but I wouldn't oversell it.  I specifically
cannot include the UI but have included example queries for the quick
introduction of a UI and the hooks for the report to include links to a
website for the one click blacklist/whitelist for parents.

Regards,
KAM

beggarmail-1.0.tar.bz2 (8K) Download Attachment