Domain Relay Question

Joey J

Hello,

I have been using postfix for a long time to relay email in a backup or filtering role.
DomainX mail to Postfix1, no response deliver to Postfix2.

MX weighting control the delivery from the sending servers to Postfix1 or Postfix2

Now, in my transport file I have:
domainx      smtp:[mailserver]

in DNS mailserver has 2 IP numbers and when delivering to IP1 it may fail because of something on the client side and at that point we simply queue, however we would like to deliver it to IP2 at that point.

What is my best approach to accomplish this.

Thanks!

** Note: mailserver only recceives mail from Postfix1 & Postfix2, nothing else accepted.
--
Thanks!
Joey

Re: Domain Relay Question

Matthew McGehrin
Joey,

You could probably use fallback_relay.

*fallback_relay (default: empty)*

    Optional list of relay hosts for SMTP destinations that can't be
    found or that are unreachable. With Postfix 2.3 this parameter is
    renamed to smtp_fallback_relay
    <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_fallback_relay>.

    By default, mail is returned to the sender when a destination is not
    found, and delivery is deferred when a destination is unreachable.

-- Matthew