ERROR in tcp protocol

Dhiraj Chatpar
HI,

I am getting this error when i am trying to connect my postfix via transport_maps = tcp:localhost:2525

Nov 16 13:48:34 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[4403]: fatal: unsupported dictionary type: tcp
Nov 16 13:48:35 mail postfix/master[4145]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite pid 4403 exit status 1
Nov 16 13:48:35 mail postfix/master[4145]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite: bad command startup -- throttling

Please help me with a solution.

Rgds
Dhiraj

Re: ERROR in tcp protocol

Matt Hayes
Dhiraj Chatpar wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am getting this error when i am trying to connect my postfix
> via transport_maps = tcp:localhost:2525
>
> Nov 16 13:48:34 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[4403]: fatal: unsupported
> dictionary type: tcp
> Nov 16 13:48:35 mail postfix/master[4145]: warning: process
> /usr/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite pid 4403 exit status 1
> Nov 16 13:48:35 mail postfix/master[4145]: warning:
> /usr/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite: bad command startup -- throttling
>

> Please help me with a solution.
>
> Rgds
> Dhiraj

Chatpar,

You really should read transport(5) for details

You don't specify a local socket like that in transport_maps

-Matt

Re: ERROR in tcp protocol

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Dhiraj Chatpar wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am getting this error when i am trying to connect my postfix
> via transport_maps = tcp:localhost:2525
>
> Nov 16 13:48:34 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[4403]: fatal: unsupported
> dictionary type: tcp
> Nov 16 13:48:35 mail postfix/master[4145]: warning: process
> /usr/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite pid 4403 exit status 1
> Nov 16 13:48:35 mail postfix/master[4145]: warning:
> /usr/libexec/postfix/trivial-rewrite: bad command startup -- throttling

transport_maps expects one or more transport map files (see man 5
transport).
It does *not* accept a bare reference to a tcp host/port.

What are you trying to solve?

Re: ERROR in tcp protocol

Dhiraj Chatpar:
> HI,
>
> I am getting this error when i am trying to connect my postfix
> via transport_maps = tcp:localhost:2525
>
> Nov 16 13:48:34 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[4403]: fatal: unsupported
> dictionary type: tcp

Use "postconf -m" to see what types of map are supported.

Re: ERROR in tcp protocol

Dhiraj Chatpar
Hi Mr. Wietse,

I using Centos now.. and this is the output

[root@lsdinkindia ~]# postconf -m
btree
cidr
environ
hash
nis
proxy
regexp
static
unix

It does not show tcp. How do i get the tcp activated on this centos machine as it alwayz used to be there on my ubuntu machine by default?

Rgds
Dhiraj

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 01:26, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dhiraj Chatpar:
> HI,
>
> I am getting this error when i am trying to connect my postfix
> via transport_maps = tcp:localhost:2525
>
> Nov 16 13:48:34 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[4403]: fatal: unsupported
> dictionary type: tcp

Use "postconf -m" to see what types of map are supported.

Re: ERROR in tcp protocol

Victor Duchovni
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:56:08PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Dhiraj Chatpar:
> > HI,
> >
> > I am getting this error when i am trying to connect my postfix
> > via transport_maps = tcp:localhost:2525
> >
> > Nov 16 13:48:34 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[4403]: fatal: unsupported
> > dictionary type: tcp
>
> Use "postconf -m" to see what types of map are supported.

Given the port number (2525), it is most likely that the TCP service
in question is an SMTP server. As others have pointed out, the
"transport_maps" parameter is a list of "type:name" *tables* that
map recipient domains to a transport:nexthop.

If the OP wants to set a global default nexthop, that's done with
default_transport:

        default_transport = smtp:[localhost]:2525

similar settings are available for other address classes:

        relay_transport = ...
        virtual_transport = ...
        local_transport = ...

Additionally, the "relayhost" parameter provides a default nexthop,
without overriding the transport.

    http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relayhost
    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#delivering
    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#resolve
    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html#classes

    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#default_transport
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_transport
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_transport
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#local_transport
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost

    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_maps

    http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html

Re: ERROR in tcp protocol

Barney Desmond
I get the impression everyone's barking up the wrong tree. Not
surprising, given that the tcp table type is documented thusly: "This
protocol is not available in the stable Postfix release".

2009/11/17 Dhiraj Chatpar <[hidden email]>:

> I using Centos now.. and this is the output
>
> [root@lsdinkindia ~]# postconf -m
> btree
> cidr
> environ
> hash
> nis
> proxy
> regexp
> static
> unix
>
> It does not show tcp. How do i get the tcp activated on this centos machine
> as it alwayz used to be there on my ubuntu machine by default?

Dhiraj, when asking for help it's best to show us the output of
`postconf -n` so we can understand the configuration of your machine,
and also describe what you're trying to do. If it's not working as
you'd expect, tell us what you expect, and what you're seeing. You've
posted log entries, which is great.

The stock Centos/RHEL packages are hopelessly sparse; as far as I know
there's no simple way to get tcp table support. There's a package in
the CentosPlus repo that will give you DB lookup tables
(http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/centosplus/x86_64/RPMS/postfix-2.3.3-2.1.centos.mysql_pgsql.x86_64.rpm)
but that's as far as you can go without 3rd-party packages.

I believe Simon Mudd builds RPMs that contain more up-to-date versions
of Postfix, but I've never used them - they *may* have tcp table
support, you'll have to check for yourself:
http://postfix.wl0.org/en/available-packages/

The reason it's on your ubuntu machine is because it was compiled with
that option enabled. Eg.:
root@shimako:~# postconf -m
btree
cidr
environ
hash
nis
proxy
regexp
sdbm
static
tcp
unix

sdbm and tcp aren't listed in the Centos output. There are also
additional ubuntu packages for cdb, ldap, mysql, pcre and pgsql
support. If you have the choice, you may be better off moving to
ubuntu/debian for your mailserver.

Re: ERROR in tcp protocol

Victor Duchovni
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:05:04AM +1100, Barney Desmond wrote:

> I get the impression everyone's barking up the wrong tree. Not
> surprising, given that the tcp table type is documented thusly: "This
> protocol is not available in the stable Postfix release".

Your feeling is probably in error. The OP almost certainly just wants
to send email to an SMTP server on localhost:2525, which has nothing
to do with the experimental "tcp" table type.