Email Bounce Question

Sean C.-2
Hello,

Is it possible in postfix to set an account to never generate bounce
back messages or to send them all to a email account rather than to the
originating user?  I have an account where users email in and it maps
via aliases to another email address.  When there is a issue I would
prefer the users to not get the failure messages and perhaps instead
send that message to another email account on my side.

For all the other email which comes in to other accounts I would like to
keep the normal bounces.

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Email Bounce Question

Ramprasad-5
On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 06:26 -0400, Sean C. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible in postfix to set an account to never generate bounce
> back messages or to send them all to a email account rather than to the
> originating user?  I have an account where users email in and it maps
> via aliases to another email address.  When there is a issue I would
> prefer the users to not get the failure messages and perhaps instead
> send that message to another email account on my side.
>
> For all the other email which comes in to other accounts I would like to
> keep the normal bounces.

What I do for this is just a workaround I alias the email-id to a
bash-script ,that just accepts the mail and sends it again to the real
recipient on command line with a different from address.

If any one has a better idea it would be useful.

> Thanks,
> Sean

Re: Email Bounce Question

Barney Desmond
2009/8/19 Sean C. <[hidden email]>:
> Is it possible in postfix to set an account to never generate bounce back
> messages or to send them all to a email account rather than to the
> originating user?  I have an account where users email in and it maps via
> aliases to another email address.  When there is a issue I would prefer the
> users to not get the failure messages and perhaps instead send that message
> to another email account on my side.
>
> For all the other email which comes in to other accounts I would like to
> keep the normal bounces.

At first I thought you were referring to outgoing mail, in which case
you could use generic address rewriting. In any case, you want some
sender-address munging. Canonical rewriting may do what you want:
http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#canonical