Enable SMTP Authentication

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Enable SMTP Authentication

Diego83
Hello.
I have Ubuntu Server 7.04 acting as a mail server with postfix 2.3.8. Smtp authentication is currently not configured so users have to use webmail when they are outside the lan.
I've been googling around for smtp athentication and found some info but it uses Cyrus which (as i heard) is quite difficult to configure.
I've also found other tutorials that use Dovecot (with myslq db) which seems to be a lot easier to configure.
The thing is, users are authenticated using system credentials (to create a new mail account i have to add a new user to the system, ...is this called ldap??). So, my question is, could i install dovecot and sasl using this kind of user authentication?.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Enable SMTP Authentication

Noel Jones-2
Diego Ledesma wrote:

> Hello.
> I have Ubuntu Server 7.04 acting as a mail server with postfix 2.3.8.
> <http://2.3.8.> Smtp authentication is currently not configured so users
> have to use webmail when they are outside the lan.
> I've been googling around for smtp athentication and found some info but
> it uses Cyrus which (as i heard) is quite difficult to configure.
> I've also found other tutorials that use Dovecot (with myslq db) which
> seems to be a lot easier to configure.
> The thing is, users are authenticated using system credentials (to
> create a new mail account i have to add a new user to the system, ...is
> this called ldap??). So, my question is, could i install dovecot and
> sasl using this kind of user authentication?.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>

[please press the "Plain Text" button when posting from gmail]

Yes, dovecot can be configured to authenticate system users.
See the dovecot docs for how to do this.

LDAP is a backend storage system, vaguely similar to SQL.
Some systems use LDAP as a storage backend for system users,
but you don't need to concern yourself with that, just
configure dovecot to authenticate system users.

--
Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Enable SMTP Authentication

mouss-2
In reply to this post by Diego83
Diego Ledesma wrote:

> Hello.
> I have Ubuntu Server 7.04 acting as a mail server with postfix 2.3.8. Smtp
> authentication is currently not configured so users have to use webmail when
> they are outside the lan.
> I've been googling around for smtp athentication and found some info but it
> uses Cyrus which (as i heard) is quite difficult to configure.
> I've also found other tutorials that use Dovecot (with myslq db) which seems
> to be a lot easier to configure.
> The thing is, users are authenticated using system credentials (to create a
> new mail account i have to add a new user to the system, ...is this called
> ldap??). So, my question is, could i install dovecot and sasl using this
> kind of user authentication?.
>

yes. First install dovecot and configure it to use your
db/backend/whatever. Note that you don't need to enable dovecot as a
pop/imap server. you can get help on the dovecot mailing list if you
have problems.

once dovecot is configured, read
        http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
to setup postfix. Make sure your postfix was built with dovecot (sasl)
support (so don't use an "ancient" postfix).
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Enable SMTP Authentication

Scott Kitterman-4
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:27:57 +0200 mouss <[hidden email]> wrote:
...
>once dovecot is configured, read
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
>to setup postfix. Make sure your postfix was built with dovecot (sasl)
>support (so don't use an "ancient" postfix).
>
I don't recall if the Feisty Postfix was built with support for Dovecot
SASL or not.  Postfix 2.5.4 is available in the community supported
feisty-backports repository if you need it.

Scott K
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Enable SMTP Authentication

Noel Jones-2
Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:27:57 +0200 mouss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...
>> once dovecot is configured, read
>> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
>> to setup postfix. Make sure your postfix was built with dovecot (sasl)
>> support (so don't use an "ancient" postfix).
>>
> I don't recall if the Feisty Postfix was built with support for Dovecot
> SASL or not.  Postfix 2.5.4 is available in the community supported
> feisty-backports repository if you need it.
>
> Scott K

# postconf -a
will list the available SASL server plug-in types for your
build of postfix.  IIRC dovecot is always enabled unless
explicitly disabled during compile.

--
Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Enable SMTP Authentication

Diego83
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Noel Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:27:57 +0200 mouss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ...
>>>
>>> once dovecot is configured, read
>>>        http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
>>> to setup postfix. Make sure your postfix was built with dovecot (sasl) support (so don't use an "ancient" postfix).
>>>
>> I don't recall if the Feisty Postfix was built with support for Dovecot SASL or not.  Postfix 2.5.4 is available in the community supported feisty-backports repository if you need it.
>>
>> Scott K
>
> # postconf -a
> will list the available SASL server plug-in types for your build of postfix.  IIRC dovecot is always enabled unless explicitly disabled during compile.
>
> --
> Noel Jones

Postfix version is 2.3.8
This is the output of postconf -a
root@mailserver:~# postconf -a
cyrus
dovecot


Thanks.