Enabling cisco pix workarounds affect on performance

Enabling cisco pix workarounds affect on performance

Ramprasad-5
If I enable cisco pix workarounds on a high traffic outgoing server ,
what are the performance impacts on that

Re: Enabling cisco pix workarounds affect on performance

Wietse Venema
ram:
> If I enable cisco pix workarounds on a high traffic outgoing server ,
> what are the performance impacts on that

It has no impact for delivery to non-PIX systems.

Re: Enabling cisco pix workarounds affect on performance

Simon Waters
On Thursday 16 July 2009 14:41:59 ram wrote:

> If I enable cisco pix workarounds on a high traffic outgoing server ,
> what are the performance impacts on that

Judging from today's log files on my postfix box the default configuration
enables these as needed.

Jul 16 11:36:10 servername postfix/smtp[3320]: 94A1161252B: enabling PIX
workarounds: disable_esmtp delay_dotcrlf for
forward10.nameresolvers.com[216.13.106.65]:25

Or am I missing something?

I'd hazard a guess that for most folks writing the log message (since it
requires disk I/O) is going to be the worst "hit" from this feature.

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 09:58 -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> ram:
> > If I enable cisco pix workarounds on a high traffic outgoing server ,
> > what are the performance impacts on that
>
> It has no impact for delivery to non-PIX systems.

For all outgoing mails, the mails are going through a PIX.
Will my outgoing performance be hit then

> Wietse

Re: Enabling cisco pix workarounds affect on performance

Ralf Hildebrandt
* ram <[hidden email]>:

> For all outgoing mails, the mails are going through a PIX.
> Will my outgoing performance be hit then

Yes, if you have smtp_protocol_fixup on.
I recently "fixed" delivery problems on a large scale server by
simply turning that off.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  CharitĂ© - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
  [hidden email] | http://www.charite.de

On Thursday 16 July 2009 15:26:01 ram wrote:

> For all outgoing mails, the mails are going through a PIX.
> Will my outgoing performance be hit then

The advice is usually to disable the PIX SMTP fix-up because it is buggy,
aside from issues of load. This may have security implications.