Escaping passwords

Gerard E. Seibert
I am having a problem authenticating with SASL to a site I formerly had
access to. The password was changed. It now contains several special
characters, such as "}", "^" and ")".

I created an "sasl_passwd" file in this format.

[hidden email]   [hidden email]:i}^KzP9yW{)6

If I use a plain passw2ord it works, but with the special characters it
fails. I tried enclosing the entire password in double quotes, but that
failed. So, what am I missing? I tried to find some documentation on this
problem, but without success.

Thanks!

Jerry

Re: Escaping passwords

Wietse Venema
Jerry:

> I am having a problem authenticating with SASL to a site I formerly had
> access to. The password was changed. It now contains several special
> characters, such as "}", "^" and ")".
>
> I created an "sasl_passwd" file in this format.
>
> [hidden email]   [hidden email]:i}^KzP9yW{)6
>
> If I use a plain passw2ord it works, but with the special characters it
> fails. I tried enclosing the entire password in double quotes, but that
> failed. So, what am I missing? I tried to find some documentation on this
> problem, but without success.

Postfix removes whitespace before and after the password field.
Otherwise it makes no changes.

You can verify with "od" or "hexdump" that the sasl_passwd input
file (before postmap) is what it should be, and then you can do the
same with the output from "postmap -s".

        Wietse