Feature Request: deduplication with multiple X-Original-To values

Feature Request: deduplication with multiple X-Original-To values

Rick van Rein
Hello,

Postfix currently allows two modes of operation when a message arrives
at the target more than once:

1. With recipient deduplication, but no X-Original-To
header(enable_original_recipient=yes)

2. With X-Original-To header, but no recipient deduplication
(enable_original_recipient=no)

Which desired behaviour most useful depends on the recipient -- some
recipients will benefit from the X-Original-To header [a service bot
with many names, for instance] and many others benefit from
deduplication [human list members, for instance].

The two desired behaviours seem unrelated, except for technical
reasons.  As a possible remedy that decouples the desires, I propose to
add a third mode:

3. With possibly multiple X-Original-To headers (or one header with
multiple addresses) as a result of recipient deduplication
(enable_original_recipient=collect)

This would benefit both use cases mentioned, making it less difficult to
choose from for email administrators.

I hope this is a useful suggestion :)

Thanks,

Rick van Rein
InternetWide.org / ARPA2.net / OpenFortress.nl

Re: Feature Request: deduplication with multiple X-Original-To values

Wietse Venema
Rick van Rein:
> 3. With possibly multiple X-Original-To headers (or one header with
> multiple addresses) as a result of recipient deduplication
> (enable_original_recipient=collect)

Won't happen. By design, the code that writes queue files stores
final and original recipient information together, and forgets where
it is written. Adding more original recipients to a recipient would
require that it remembers where every recipient is written. Additionally,
features like DSN support only one original recipient per final recipient.

        Wietse