Fedora 9 and TLS support

Alex Feldman-3
Hi,

This is my first posting to this list, I did look in the archives but I
hope I didn't miss anything.

I just installed Fedora 9 on my computer at home.  I had Fedora Core 5
with Postfix and TLS/SASL support previously.  The reason I wanted it is
that I wanted to always have a secure smtp connection available to me
e.g. from my laptop so I could send mail without concern.  My firewall
(iptables) left port 25 open, and it didn't appear to be a problem - I
had secure password protection over that channel.

I wanted to duplicate the system in Fedora 9.  This time, however, I
just let the distribution or yum install Postfix and Cyrus-Sasl for me,
and that might be the root of my problems.   I did, however use ldd to
see if sasl support was in postfix, and it appeared to be (libsasl2,
libssl, libcrypto) so I figured I didn't have to rebuild anything.

When I added the  lines to main.cf that are given in the quick-and-dirty
TLS howto, it broke Postfix.  Specifically, the line

 smtpd_tls_security_level = may

caused it to not respond to EHLO given to telnet.

So, do I have to rebuild both Postfix and Cyrus, or something else?  If
the latter, do I use yum to erase them, and then download the tarballs
and do it the long way?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Fedora 9 and TLS support

Bill Cole-3
At 10:22 AM -0600 5/21/08, Alex Feldman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This is my first posting to this list, I did look in the archives
>but I hope I didn't miss anything.

Apparently you missed the "Welcome" message for this list that
provides this useful clue:

>TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail

The description of your problem that you provided is inadequate to
diagnose the underlying cause as a Postfix problem. As described, it
is a packaging/integration problem in Fedora, and you might actually
get somewhere approaching it as such (i.e. presenting the problem to
a Fedora audience rather than to a Postfix audience.)

--
Bill Cole