Forwarded mail problem

Enrico Morelli
Dear all,

I having some problem forwarding some emails to Gmail addresses.
Sometime the emails are bounced cause:

This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass
550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam,
the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
550 5.7.1 information. k11si3359248wrp.39 - gsmtp (in reply to end of
DATA command))

I'm sure that these emails aren't spam.

Someone can explain me why? Is there some misconfiguration in my mail
server?

Thanks

  Enrico Morelli
  System Administrator | Programmer | Web Developer

  CERM - Polo Scientifico
  via Sacconi, 6 - 50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI) - ITALY

Re: Forwarded mail problem

Paolo Barbato
Dear Enrico,

it seems that your domain hasn't any SPF entry in DNS.

dig txt cerm.unifi.it

Fighting spammers is hard, so at least SPF have to be used to legitimate your IPs.

DKIM and DMARC are other ways...somewhat more complex to implement.

Regards,
Paolo.

On 1 Feb 2019, at 15:41, Enrico Morelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Consorzio RFX
corso Stati Uniti,4
35127 Padova - Italy
Network Administrator
phone: +39 049 8295097 fax: +39 049 8700718

Re: Forwarded mail problem

Francesc Peñalvez-2
you can use this Google APP https://postmaster.google.com/managedomains
also you can use DKIM and or SPF verification

Este mensaje y todos los archivos adjuntos son confidenciales y de uso exclusivo por parte
de su/sus destinatario/s. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, le agradecemos que
lo notifique inmediatamente al remitente y destruya el mensaje. Queda prohibida cualquier
modificación, edición, uso o divulgación no autorizados. El Emisor no se hace responsable
de este mensaje si ha sido modificado, distorsionado, falsificado, infectado por un virus o
editado o difundido sin autorización.

This message and any attachments are confidential and intended for the named addressee(s) only.
If you have received this message in error, please notify immediately the sender, then delete
the message. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited.
The sender shall not be liable for this message if it has been modified, altered, falsified, infected
by a virus or even edited or disseminated without authorization.

El 01/02/2019 a las 15:41, Enrico Morelli escribió:

> Dear all,
>
> I having some problem forwarding some emails to Gmail addresses.
> Sometime the emails are bounced cause:
>
> This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass
> 550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam,
> the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
> 550 5.7.1 information. k11si3359248wrp.39 - gsmtp (in reply to end of
> DATA command))
>
> I'm sure that these emails aren't spam.
>
> Someone can explain me why? Is there some misconfiguration in my mail
> server?
>
> Thanks

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Forwarded mail problem

Enrico Morelli
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 15:50:14 +0100
Paolo Barbato <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Enrico,
>
> it seems that your domain hasn't any SPF entry in DNS.
>
> dig txt cerm.unifi.it
>
> Fighting spammers is hard, so at least SPF have to be used to
> legitimate your IPs.
>
> DKIM and DMARC are other ways...somewhat more complex to implement.
>
> Regards,
> Paolo.

Thanks Paolo,

I'm not the domain administrator, so I'll ask to our network provider
to put SPF record in our DNS servers.

> > On 1 Feb 2019, at 15:41, Enrico Morelli <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I having some problem forwarding some emails to Gmail addresses.
> > Sometime the emails are bounced cause:
> >
> > This message does not have authentication information or fails to
> > pass 550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users
> > from spam, the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
> > 550-5.7.1
> > https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for
> > more 550 5.7.1 information. k11si3359248wrp.39 - gsmtp (in reply to
> > end of DATA command))
> >
> > I'm sure that these emails aren't spam.
> >
> > Someone can explain me why? Is there some misconfiguration in my
> > mail server?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> >  Enrico Morelli
> >  System Administrator | Programmer | Web Developer
> >
> >  CERM - Polo Scientifico
> >  via Sacconi, 6 - 50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI) - ITALY

> Paolo Barbato
>
> Consorzio RFX
>  <https://www.igi.cnr.it/>corso Stati
> Uniti,4 35127 Padova - Italy
> Network Administrator
> phone: +39 049 8295097 fax: +39 049 8700718

  Enrico Morelli
  System Administrator | Programmer | Web Developer

  CERM - Polo Scientifico
  via Sacconi, 6 - 50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI) - ITALY

Re: Forwarded mail problem

Enrico Morelli
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 15:50:36 +0100
Francesc Peñalvez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you can use this Google APP
> https://postmaster.google.com/managedomains also you can use DKIM and
> or SPF verification

Thanks, I'll ask to our network provider to set SPF record in our DNS
servers.

> ***********************************************************************************************
>
> El 01/02/2019 a las 15:41, Enrico Morelli escribió:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I having some problem forwarding some emails to Gmail addresses.
> > Sometime the emails are bounced cause:
> >
> > This message does not have authentication information or fails to
> > pass 550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users
> > from spam, the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
> > 550-5.7.1
> > https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for
> > more 550 5.7.1 information. k11si3359248wrp.39 - gsmtp (in reply to
> > end of DATA command))
> >
> > I'm sure that these emails aren't spam.
> >
> > Someone can explain me why? Is there some misconfiguration in my
> > mail server?
> >
> > Thanks

  Enrico Morelli
  System Administrator | Programmer | Web Developer

  CERM - Polo Scientifico
  via Sacconi, 6 - 50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI) - ITALY

Re: Forwarded mail problem

Richard Damon
On 2/1/19 9:41 AM, Enrico Morelli wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I having some problem forwarding some emails to Gmail addresses.
> Sometime the emails are bounced cause:
>
> This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass
> 550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam,
> the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
> 550 5.7.1 information. k11si3359248wrp.39 - gsmtp (in reply to end of
> DATA command))
>
> I'm sure that these emails aren't spam.
>
> Someone can explain me why? Is there some misconfiguration in my mail
> server?
>
> Thanks

If your forwarding method keeps the From line of the original message,
then if that domain uses SPF, then Google will see that your system
wasn't authorized to send email for that domain. (If they also signed
the message with DKIM, it likely would make it through).

The solution is that when you forward email from domains you don't
control to a domain you don't control, you need to at least re-write the
from address to something you control, otherwise it looks too much like
possible scamming.

--
Richard Damon