Getting a mailing loop on mailman delivery host

Getting a mailing loop on mailman delivery host

Rob Tanner
Hi,

I am hosting the mailman mailing list manager on a machine named
socrates.linfield.edu.  Any mail addressed to <any
name>@mailman.linfield.edu is forwarded to this box by the two edge
servers.  But, instead of accepting the mail, postfix is forwarding it
of to my primary internal smtp server which, in turn, sends it right back.

Here are what I think are the pertinent parameters:

myhostname = socrates.linfield.edu
mydomain = linfield.edu
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, mailman.$mydomain
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

Is there some other parameter or parameters that I need to set?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College

Re: Getting a mailing loop on mailman delivery host

Rob Tanner
Problem partially solved.  The transport map was "* smtp:smtp.linfield.edu" and so everything was immediately relayed to that server and it, in turn,sent it right back.  If I remove the transport entry in main.cf, the mail gets delivered to mailman but when mailman responds, postfix doesn't seem to know where to send it (the next hop has to be smtp.linfield.edu).

What does the transport table need to look like to make this all happen as it should?

Thank,
Rob

On 8/12/08 10:10 AM, Rob Tanner wrote:
Hi,

I am hosting the mailman mailing list manager on a machine named socrates.linfield.edu.  Any mail addressed to <any name>@mailman.linfield.edu is forwarded to this box by the two edge servers.  But, instead of accepting the mail, postfix is forwarding it of to my primary internal smtp server which, in turn, sends it right back.
Here are what I think are the pertinent parameters:

myhostname = socrates.linfield.edu
mydomain = linfield.edu
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, mailman.$mydomain
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

Is there some other parameter or parameters that I need to set?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College

Re: Getting a mailing loop on mailman delivery host

Noel Jones-2
Rob Tanner wrote:

> Problem partially solved.  The transport map was "*
> smtp:smtp.linfield.edu" and so everything was immediately relayed to
> that server and it, in turn,sent it right back.  If I remove the
> transport entry in main.cf, the mail gets delivered to mailman but when
> mailman responds, postfix doesn't seem to know where to send it (the
> next hop has to be smtp.linfield.edu).
>
> What does the transport table need to look like to make this all happen
> as it should?
>
> Thank,
> Rob
>

> On 8/12/08 10:10 AM, Rob Tanner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am hosting the mailman mailing list manager on a machine named
>> socrates.linfield.edu.  Any mail addressed to <any
>> name>@mailman.linfield.edu is forwarded to this box by the two edge
>> servers.  But, instead of accepting the mail, postfix is forwarding it
>> of to my primary internal smtp server which, in turn, sends it right
>> back.
>> Here are what I think are the pertinent parameters:
>>
>> myhostname = socrates.linfield.edu
>> mydomain = linfield.edu
>> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, mailman.$mydomain
>> alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>>
>> Is there some other parameter or parameters that I need to set?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rob Tanner
>> Linfield College

Please don't top post.

I don't feel as if I fully understand your problem, but maybe
a transport_maps like this will help:
mailman.linfield.edu  :
* smtp:smtp.linfield.edu

If that doesn't help, please see:
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html

and particularly:

Noel Jones

On 8/12/08 2:50 PM, Noel Jones wrote:

> Rob Tanner wrote:
>> Problem partially solved.  The transport map was "*
>> smtp:smtp.linfield.edu" and so everything was immediately relayed to
>> that server and it, in turn,sent it right back.  If I remove the
>> transport entry in main.cf, the mail gets delivered to mailman but
>> when mailman responds, postfix doesn't seem to know where to send it
>> (the next hop has to be smtp.linfield.edu).
>>
>> What does the transport table need to look like to make this all
>> happen as it should?
>>
>> Thank,
>> Rob
>>

>> On 8/12/08 10:10 AM, Rob Tanner wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am hosting the mailman mailing list manager on a machine named
>>> socrates.linfield.edu.  Any mail addressed to <any
>>> name>@mailman.linfield.edu is forwarded to this box by the two edge
>>> servers.  But, instead of accepting the mail, postfix is forwarding
>>> it of to my primary internal smtp server which, in turn, sends it
>>> right back.
>>> Here are what I think are the pertinent parameters:
>>>
>>> myhostname = socrates.linfield.edu
>>> mydomain = linfield.edu
>>> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, mailman.$mydomain
>>> alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>>>
>>> Is there some other parameter or parameters that I need to set?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rob Tanner
>>> Linfield College
>

> Please don't top post.
>
> I don't feel as if I fully understand your problem, but maybe a
> transport_maps like this will help:
> mailman.linfield.edu  :
> *    smtp:smtp.linfield.edu
>
> If that doesn't help, please see:
> http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html
> http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
> http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html
>
> and particularly:
> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail

Noel,

Thanks.  That fixed the transport.  Messages now get delivered to
mailman and mailman messages get properly forwarded on to the next hop.

-- Rob

Re: Getting a mailing loop on mailman delivery host

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Rob Tanner wrote:

>> Please don't top post.
>>
>> I don't feel as if I fully understand your problem, but maybe a
>> transport_maps like this will help:
>> mailman.linfield.edu  :
>> *    smtp:smtp.linfield.edu
>>
>> If that doesn't help, please see:
>> http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html
>> http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
>> http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html
>>
>> and particularly:
>> http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
>>

> Noel,
>
> Thanks.  That fixed the transport.  Messages now get delivered to
> mailman and mailman messages get properly forwarded on to the next hop.
>
> -- Rob
Alternatively, you can set 'relayhost=smtp.linfield.edu' instead of any
transport_maps so you don't forget to update the map if you add a new
(sub)domain.

Brian

Re: Getting a mailing loop on mailman delivery host

Magnus Bäck
On Monday, August 18, 2008 at 18:04 CEST,
     Brian Evans - Postfix List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alternatively, you can set 'relayhost=smtp.linfield.edu' instead of any
> transport_maps so you don't forget to update the map if you add a new
> (sub)domain.

Better make that

   relayhost = [smtp.linfield.edu]

to avoid surprises when/if smtp.linfield.edu suddenly changes its MX
record. The current MX record points to a CNAME, which is illegal.

--
Magnus Bäck
[hidden email]