Good sender name

Philippe - Forums

Hello.

I want to have the good sender name when an email is sending from my mailserver.

I explain my problem:

I have 5 different servers including my mailserver.

When I send an email from my mailserver with a user (for example : user=backup) I receive the mail from "backup@server-name".

When I send an email from my 4 other servers with the same user (backup) I receive the mail from "[hidden email]".

--

##################

Philippe - Forums

Re: Good sender name

Wietse Venema
Philippe - Forums:

> Hello.
>
> I want to have the good sender name when an email is sending from my
> mailserver.
>
> I explain my problem:
>
> I have 5 different servers including my mailserver.
>
> When I send an email from my mailserver with a user (for example :
> user=backup) I receive the mail from "backup@server-name".
>
> When I send an email from my 4 other servers with the same user (backup)
> I receive the mail from "[hidden email]".

http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin

        Wietse

The myorigin parameter specifies the domain that appears in mail
that is posted on this machine. The default is to use the local
machine name, $myhostname, which defaults to the name of the machine.
Unless you are running a really small site, you probably want to
change that into $mydomain, which defaults to the parent domain of
the machine name.

For the sake of consistency between sender and recipient addresses,
myorigin also specifies the domain name that is appended to an
unqualified recipient address.

Examples (specify only one of the following):

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    myorigin = $myhostname (default: send mail as "user@$myhostname")
    myorigin = $mydomain   (probably desirable: "user@$mydomain")

Re: Good sender name

Philippe - Forums
On all of my 4 other servers I have this:

mydomain = my-domain.fr
myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain
mynetworks_style = host
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

On my mailserver I have this:

mydomain = my-domain.fr
myhostname = my-mailservername.$mydomain
myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination = $myhostname
mynetworks_style = subnet
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.1.0/24

---
##################

Philippe - Forums

Le 2018-12-22 23:57, Wietse Venema a écrit :

> Philippe - Forums:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I want to have the good sender name when an email is sending from my
>> mailserver.
>>
>> I explain my problem:
>>
>> I have 5 different servers including my mailserver.
>>
>> When I send an email from my mailserver with a user (for example :
>> user=backup) I receive the mail from "backup@server-name".
>>
>> When I send an email from my 4 other servers with the same user
>> (backup)
>> I receive the mail from "[hidden email]".
>
> http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin
>
> Wietse
>
> The myorigin parameter specifies the domain that appears in mail
> that is posted on this machine. The default is to use the local
> machine name, $myhostname, which defaults to the name of the machine.
> Unless you are running a really small site, you probably want to
> change that into $mydomain, which defaults to the parent domain of
> the machine name.
>
> For the sake of consistency between sender and recipient addresses,
> myorigin also specifies the domain name that is appended to an
> unqualified recipient address.
>
> Examples (specify only one of the following):
>
> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> myorigin = $myhostname (default: send mail as "user@$myhostname")
> myorigin = $mydomain   (probably desirable: "user@$mydomain")

Re: Good sender name

Wietse Venema
Philippe - Forums:

> On all of my 4 other servers I have this:
>
> mydomain = my-domain.fr
> myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain
> mynetworks_style = host
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
>
> On my mailserver I have this:
>
> mydomain = my-domain.fr
> myhostname = my-mailservername.$mydomain
> myorigin = $mydomain
> mydestination = $myhostname
> mynetworks_style = subnet
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.1.0/24

This is obviously fake information, so I am going to give a useless
response. The default myorigin value is $myhostname, but on some
system you use 'myorigin = $mydomain' so that would explain the
difference in the senders addresses.

Re: Good sender name

Stop sending me multiple copies of your email.

        Wietse

Philippe - Forums:

> On all of my 4 other servers I have this:
>
> mydomain = my-domain.fr
> myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain
> mynetworks_style = host
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
>
> On my mailserver I have this:
>
> mydomain = my-domain.fr
> myhostname = my-mailservername.$mydomain
> myorigin = $mydomain
> mydestination = $myhostname
> mynetworks_style = subnet
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.1.0/24
>
> ---
> ##################
>
> Philippe - Forums
>
> Le 2018-12-22 23:57, Wietse Venema a ?crit :
>
> > Philippe - Forums:
> >
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I want to have the good sender name when an email is sending from my
> >> mailserver.
> >>
> >> I explain my problem:
> >>
> >> I have 5 different servers including my mailserver.
> >>
> >> When I send an email from my mailserver with a user (for example :
> >> user=backup) I receive the mail from "backup@server-name".
> >>
> >> When I send an email from my 4 other servers with the same user
> >> (backup)
> >> I receive the mail from "[hidden email]".
> >
> > http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin
> >
> > Wietse
> >
> > The myorigin parameter specifies the domain that appears in mail
> > that is posted on this machine. The default is to use the local
> > machine name, $myhostname, which defaults to the name of the machine.
> > Unless you are running a really small site, you probably want to
> > change that into $mydomain, which defaults to the parent domain of
> > the machine name.
> >
> > For the sake of consistency between sender and recipient addresses,
> > myorigin also specifies the domain name that is appended to an
> > unqualified recipient address.
> >
> > Examples (specify only one of the following):
> >
> > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> > myorigin = $myhostname (default: send mail as "user@$myhostname")
> > myorigin = $mydomain   (probably desirable: "user@$mydomain")

Re: Good sender name

Philippe - Forums

I've made this correction:

mydomain = my-domain.fr
myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain

On all of my servers.

But always the same problem: my mailserver don't want to use
"[hidden email]" as sender name, always "user@my-servername".

---
##################

Philippe - Forums

Le 2018-12-23 21:59, Wietse Venema a écrit :

> Philippe - Forums:
>
>> On all of my 4 other servers I have this:
>>
>> mydomain = my-domain.fr
>> myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain
>> mynetworks_style = host
>> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
>>
>> On my mailserver I have this:
>>
>> mydomain = my-domain.fr
>> myhostname = my-mailservername.$mydomain
>> myorigin = $mydomain
>> mydestination = $myhostname
>> mynetworks_style = subnet
>> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.1.0/24
>
> This is obviously fake information, so I am going to give a useless
> response. The default myorigin value is $myhostname, but on some
> system you use 'myorigin = $mydomain' so that would explain the
> difference in the senders addresses.
>
> Wietse

Re: Good sender name

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 29.12.18 18:51, Philippe - Forums wrote:
>mydomain = my-domain.fr
>myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain
>
>On all of my servers.
>
>But always the same problem: my mailserver don't want to use
>"[hidden email]" as sender name, always "user@my-servername".

the important question is, how do you send the mail?
if you sre using script that calls "mail" command, it's possible that the
mail command generates From: using full host name instead of domain name.

that may not be postfix's fault
(R)etry, (A)bort, (C)ancer

Re: Good sender name

Philippe - Forums:

> Hi,
>
> I've made this correction:
>
> mydomain = my-domain.fr
> myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain
>
> On all of my servers.
>
> But always the same problem: my mailserver don't want to use
> "[hidden email]" as sender name, always "user@my-servername".

Seems you haven't noticed this from my precvious email:

The default sender domain is specified with myorigin.
The default sender domain is specified with myorigin.
The default sender domain is specified with myorigin.

Re: Good sender name

Philippe - Forums
If "myorigin" is by default "myhostname", no need to specify "myorigin",
right?

But it's OK now.
The problem was that I don't spécify the good file to hash with
"sender_canonical_maps" option. I corrected it and now I receive an
email with the good sender name.

---
##################

Philippe - Forums

Le 2018-12-29 19:21, Wietse Venema a écrit :

> Philippe - Forums:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've made this correction:
>>
>> mydomain = my-domain.fr
>> myhostname = my-servername.$mydomain
>>
>> On all of my servers.
>>
>> But always the same problem: my mailserver don't want to use
>> "[hidden email]" as sender name, always "user@my-servername".
>
> Seems you haven't noticed this from my precvious email:
>
> The default sender domain is specified with myorigin.
> The default sender domain is specified with myorigin.
> The default sender domain is specified with myorigin.
>
> Wietse

Re: Good sender name

Benny Pedersen-2
Philippe - Forums skrev den 2018-12-29 19:55:
> If "myorigin" is by default "myhostname", no need to specify
> "myorigin", right?

myhostname here is localhost.$mydomain so you like to reply to a
loopback only ip without mx btw

myorigin is so system users have meaningfull email adresses that can be
repled back to and this should not be just myhostname maping

mary xmax to all members here, happy holiday, wish the best for 2019