Google Backscatter

Blake Hudson
We seem to be getting gmail backscatter for the last week. The sender
appears to be someone in Korea, sending to other Korean addresses using
a forged envelope sender address. When the messages cannot be delivered,
google sends a bounce back to us.

I'm not sure why google allows someone to send out mail as us through
their servers... I thought they had some type of verification setup...
this doesn't seem to be a forwarding rule on an account as there are
multiple recipients that these messages are trying to be delivered to.

In any event, I've sent emails to postmaster, abuse, and the whois
contacts for google with no human response... Anyone have better luck
than I?

--Blake

Re: Google Backscatter

Sahil Tandon
On Jul 10, 2008, at 9:22, Blake Hudson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We seem to be getting gmail backscatter for the last week. The
> sender appears to be someone in Korea, sending to other Korean
> addresses using a forged envelope sender address. When the messages
> cannot be delivered, google sends a bounce back to us.
>
> I'm not sure why google allows someone to send out mail as us
> through their servers... I thought they had some type of
> verification setup... this doesn't seem to be a forwarding rule on
> an account as there are multiple recipients that these messages are
> trying to be delivered to.
>
> In any event, I've sent emails to postmaster, abuse, and the whois
> contacts for google with no human response... Anyone have better
> luck than I?

Unfortunately not. Also, lots of spam now comes directly from google
MXs; their postmasters or abuse "reps" have not once responded to any
of our reports.  Good luck.